1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 7 RTM coming next week

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Jul 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Sweet. Good news.

Windows 7 appears to be fairing a lot better than Vista (or even XP) did... most stuff seems to be going smoothly. Of course, that might be because it's not another huge driver architecture shift so the manufacturers don't really have any excuses for troublesome drivers the way they did with Vista. Well, that and the fact that Windows 7, even on newer hardware, seems to have just about every necessary driver in it. :)

3. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty sure the RTM build has been on the nets for a little while now, but an official release would be nice

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Might actually "upgrade" the RC on my laptop to RTM. So far I'm more than impressed with 7. :thumb:

5. plagio

plagio What's a Dremel?

I hate to say it, but I have been using win7 on my laptop for some time now and I haven't found anything wrong with it !

6. christoefar

christoefar What's a Dremel?

I don't think your RC Key will work on the RTM build.

7. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

its not, the latest leaked release is 7264, its like an RTM RC if you see what i mean
    its an RTM release in that it uses retail keys and wont accept the RC/beta keys but its not the actual final RTM build

8. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

if i want to upgrade my release client, will i have to format my computer?

i know this is a noob q. forgive me!

9. sear

sear Guest

Yes, the beta and release candidate versions don't upgrade, so you need to wipe your hard drive when you install the retail or even RTM versions. That's why I haven't bothered with it yet.

10. leslie

leslie Just me!

This is the first Windows I was actually impressed with from the start. Others you could see promise, but there was too many bugs or hardware issues (not fast enough, poor driver support, etc...).

Win7 seems to be off to a great start, I just wish they had retired 32bit with XP (yes, I said it! :) ).

11. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Agreed.

Here's hoping they do it for the next version.

12. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

I've been using windows 7 RC for a week now, because somehow my windows vista Kernel (or whatever the core of windows is called) is ****ed up big time.
    And i can't just throw in the windows disk and press repair under setup, like you could with XP.

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Good stuff. Wasn't expecting the RTM so soon. I'll definitely be upgrading as soon as its available, roll on next week.

Hope the RC->Final upgrade is possible by just editing one of the setup files like the Beta->RC was

14. perplekks45

And hardly anybody knew that so they were bitching about it being impossible... :sigh:

Isn't "like pie" something that replaces swearing? I'm too lazy to check, but if so I hope someone will show you the door for a day or two. If not then I just don't understand what you're trying to say. :eyebrow:

15. leslie

leslie Just me!

Rumor is that this will be the last 32bit. :clap:

16. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

2008 Server R2 has already moved over to 64 bit only, can't imagine the desktop platform is too far behind.

17. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Nice

My beta expired this month and the 2 hour shut downs make it impossible to do anything fun (namely playing poker).
    I have got the RC downloaded to install but if the RTM is going to be on MSDN next week then I may aswell save myself the hassle of formatting et al until then :)

18. perplekks45

You don't have to format to go from Beta to RC. Just google a bit around and you'll find that all you have to do is edit one text file. :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags