1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress H2O-C7 June 26 Still more Rain! SUX

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jhanlon303, 22 Oct 2008.

?

Guess my weight!

Poll closed 25 Dec 2008.
  1. Less than 2Kg

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. 2Kg to 3Kg

21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. More than 3KG

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

As many of you have been following Cheapskate's thread about creating water blocks for a Jetway C7 mini-ITX board, you will have seen some of the first pics. I am re-running them to make this thread flow from start to where I am this evening.
    Cheapskate's thread is here:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=158113

This the log of where these water block treasures will live.
    It starts simply enough with a box!
    [​IMG]

The box with a 1 foot ruler. Evean the shipping box is small.
    [​IMG]
    Well packed with foam
    [​IMG]
    now we have a plastic bag.
    [​IMG]

Well packaged for a cheap mini-ITX only case. What does it look like you ask?
    Shiny piano black with a plastic film cover. Nice vents.
    [​IMG]
    the rear with the 250 Watt PSU and the I/O opening with a single PCI slot cover.
    [​IMG]
    The side opposite the vents all shiny but boring
    [​IMG]
    The front with 2 stealthed 5 1/4 size bays and a front I/O panel on the left and the Buttons and HDD and power LEDs on the right. All done up in smoked mirror acrylic
    [​IMG]
    Pop the one piece top and both sides cover off and here is the inside view.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    pic of the mini-ITX only motherboard tray
    [​IMG]
    shot of the slick little groove that the plastic HDD holders will slide in. The two countersunk holes at the top are to affix the HDD at the top
    [​IMG]

That's enough to wear out your eyes on the first post.:dremel:

Last edited: 27 Jun 2009
    Herbicide likes this.
  2. jhanlon303

2nd post Oct 20

What do you get packed with the case? A PSU power cord and a small bag of parts.
    [​IMG]

Inside the bag is some black rubber feet, a number of screws and 2 plastic rails for the HDD
    [​IMG]
    As I mentioned in Cheapskate's thread, one of the strong reasons for this case was the 3 1/2" HDD instead of the smaller laptop drive mounts used by some of the smaller cases. The plastic rails screw on to the HDD and slide into the MB tray and get screwd down from above - like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's enough about the plain case for a bit. What about the H2O in the title?
    Package from Performance-PCs
    [​IMG]
    What's in the bubblewrap?
    [​IMG]

Must be a radiator seed or starting bulb. Ain't it cute? So tiny.
    [​IMG]

And in the brown box we have:
    [​IMG]
    still wrapped up
    [​IMG]
    Bubble wrap gone and a shot of the 2 3/8" ID barbs I ordered to replace the stock 1/2" barbs. The Molex with the unsleeved wires is an LED that goes in the res top.

A shot of the pump/res and the 2 X 40mm radiator in front of a stock Lian-Li 120mm case fan.
    [​IMG]

The 2 X 40 mm radiator lying on top of the Lian-Li fan guard. Some size difference!
    [​IMG]
    The res trial fitted into the case from above and from the side:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Houston, We Have A Problem!

This pic is with the stock 1/2" barbs and you can see how close they are to the top, the 3/8" barbs are only slightly shorter but PPCs has some stubby 3/8" barbs meant to be used in SLI. I'll order them tomorrow.
    The pic
    [​IMG]

Strip out the stock side rails and we have the four major pieces installed in the case space for modeling:
    The MB, the HDD, the pump/res and the radiator! What more does a growing boy(or an old man) need in a case?

[​IMG]
    another view:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, I have pretty much met my own goal of making the waterblocks, pump/res, and radiator the highlight of the case.
    I'm working on some alum. angle braces that will tie the front and back back together.
    Actually, that's a fib - I'm working on a pint of Chunky Monkey ice cream.

Lots more pics to come and I will really need some help figuring a mount for the plexi res and radiator that won't hide them.

Questions and suggestions welcome.

3. ROB 636

ROB 636 Ski-Ba-Bop-Ba-Dop-Bop

The hell? that is one tiny rad.

Are you going to have a cd/dvd drive in this, or is the res taking up to much room?

4. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Yay! It begins...
    This is gonna be tricky to both fit it all in, yet showcase what's inside.
    Lotsa windows!
    What are you planning on doing with the PSU area? You mentioned using the pico psu I think, so it's just gonna be a wire coming out the back. Can you make some plexi to use as a mount/window for the rez at the back where that was (suspended from the top, over the i/o panel/boring part of the mobo)? The rez seems the hardest to mount cleanly and without obstructing anything. That rad looks like it will go anywhere. And yeah, will you be having an optical drive? Maybe you can mount a slimline vertically in the same place as the HDs (in front) and that will open up some space?

and you know I'm subscribed!

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

WOOHOO. I like the layout so far. Instead of getting those shorter barbs why not use right angle barbs? It would probably make the tubing easier to manipulate.

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

yay! i would have opted for a single 80mm rad and squeezed it in somewhere, 40mm fans hurt my ears!

Where did you get the case from, and most important how high is it with its feet on. I have a space under my monitor which is 110mm high, which has been screaming for hardware, ITX and a amp...

7. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Why not a PicoPSU?

8. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

As far as I know if will be a PICO PSU, the water cooling wouldn't fit with a standard ATX PSU. Correct me if I am wrong John.

9. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

That rad is awesome :p

10. jhanlon303

Thanks guys for looking. I'll try to answer your questions and comments.

@ROB_636 We have a couple of eeePCs we just got and we use an external USB DVD+-RW for them so I'll share the DVD here too. This case with the eeePC:
    [​IMG]

@ModMinded - The res in the pictures is sitting ON the case floor and I already need shorter barbs. If I moved it to the back, I would have to eliminate the motherboard! Kind of self defeating for all of Cheap's work! [​IMG]
    See my comment to ROB about the optical.

@The_boy_4rm_oz - I would order right angle 3/8" ID barbs right now if I new where to get them in the US. [​IMG]
    The 1/4" tall DD barbs for SLI are the shortest I have found. I chose this pump/res after Cheaps said the H2O blocks had UV plexi. I'll measure the volume of the res today but I think it will look cool. I'll probably replace the factory blue LED with a UV LED. Plus I promised Cheaps and E.E.L that I would put a small UV CCFL in here somewhere.

@Burnout21 - I got the case from Newegg here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154084
    I'm sorry but the case is too tall for your space, it's 120mm without the feet. That's because it uses the upright PCI configuration. A lot of the cases are made shorter but they usually require a PCI riser board which mounts the PCI card either flat over the top of the motherboard or flat to the left of the motherboard.
    The Morex cases are only 65mm tall but they are twice as wide. For a cool look at mini-ITX cases go here:
    http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=3
    Hope that helps. I spent a long time in the last 3 years foolin with mini-ITX stuff - mostly for auto PCs

to all - I have a couple ways to go with the PSU. I have a picoPSU at 120 watts which is overkill but it is on hand. In the box of prototyping stuff I sent Cheaps was a couple of the other variants of a mini-ITX power option. They are small circuit boards that require internal mounting. They look like this:
    [​IMG]
    but they take up more room. They are made for Morex cases if I remember right.
    With the picoPSU all I need is a small spot on the back for a wall jack.

@Kylevdm Thaks! it is tiny and probably only useful is a system this size that doesn't need much help. I will be using 2 Silenx Iextrema 40mm fans from PPCs in Fl. They are listed as 14dBA and 5 cfm each. Whole case only has about 1 cubic foot inside.

Now, about the windows. A modder can never have too many windows! The goal has always been to show off Cheap's work on the blocks and the H2O stuff. I mean who but Cheaps and I would be crazy enough to do this.

Some window ideas from my microFly case:
    The radiator side:
    [​IMG]
    The HDD and res side:
    [​IMG]

The outside of the whole back panel will get either a new alum coverup or a mirrored plexi to match the front. The inside space get a Props Plaque I'm having made at the local trophy shop. He's doing the lettering and I add a high res avatar. Too bad I/we don't have room for a case badge but this much I can do.
    [​IMG]

Waiting for the family to get up and having my coffee.
    More update pics today.

PS: Anybody got a 2 X 40mm Radgrillz. I crack me up
    PPS: My album on photobucket gets updated all day long as I work. I tend to think and plot with my camera. Album is here:
    http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh137/jhanlon303/PC Modding/Jetway_Case/

Last edited: 22 Oct 2008
  11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

How about having a hole in the case for the res to pass through and 2 further holes for the pipes to pass back into the case?
    Would also solve the problem of having to open the case to refil the res.

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

'sup.:D
    First off, I figured out the pretty and shiny barbs I have from sponsorship are 'fat boy' fittings. The ones I ordered for you are 'high flow' and not nearly as awesome.:(
    90 degree barbs-'spensive, but worth it.
    UV black tubing
    Black 90 splice-but you can pick these up at the hardware store if you need them.
    I might as well spill it- because I took so long to get shipped out, (and I wanted to try something,) I made some case feet for you. You have the option of venting the radiator out the bottom, (if you use them.) On that note...I think it's time to change the bearings in my drill press. The feet came out oblong, and a little rough.

@Blademrk - That's cheating. The unwritten rule of mini-ITX builds is that it must fit in the case.:hehe:

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Nothing against DD, but I stopped using their barbs quite a while ago because I really require a captive o-ring around the bottom. I have a tendency to overtighten barbs on occasion, and I've gotten leaks before with the DD barbs. Personally, I tend to use EK's barbs for the most part. But Bitspower fittings are excellent IMHO, especially their 90-degrees. Expensive, sure. But worth it just for the full rotation. They also have a 45-degree fitting too.

I might have missed it, but what size fittings you going with anyways? :confused: 3/8"?

Edit: 3/8" it is. ;) The right-angle barbs are linked above.

14. s_q_u_e_e

s_q_u_e_e What's a Dremel?

Love the idea of this project! That radiator rocks, I had never even heard of a dual 40mm one =) Any plans on squeezing something else underneath the radiator, or just leaving it open so that you can see the res from both sides? Maybe squeeze the UV lights down there, though that could also go across the front.

15. jhanlon303

Thanks for the feedback! I've been out with my lady/wife Marilyn. I'm taking more pics and working on the log offline. Update soon.
    Until then:
    [​IMG]

Self portrait?

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:hehe: I retired my 386 keyboard only a few months ago... That could be me.
    @EEL - I thought the DD 'fatboy' parts were Bitspower. They have a captive O-ring too. Compare the pics. Both shops are using the same stock photo.
    If Petra's had the 90 degree fitting, they'd win for sheer cheapness of shipping. Small package US mail is as fast as Fed-ex anyway.

17. jhanlon303

No C7 H2O in your sig? I haz a sad for you.

18. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

You're right, Cheaps. The 'fatboys' are manufactured by Bitspower. I'm sorry; I was referring to the original 'highflow' ones. Yuck. :hehe:

Edit: In fact, both Hank @ P-PCs and myself actually had issues with some of the threads on those high-flow barbs in the sense that they weren't in-spec! I guess there was a bad batch of them. No biggie. I still love DD!

If Petra's had the 90-degree fitting, they'd be out of stock anyways. :hehe: I'm kidding, Alex!

19. jhanlon303

I swapped out the 1/2" barbs and installed the 3/8" ID ones. Threw some clear hose on it from the board store. Pics in 5 minutes.

20. jhanlon303

The 3/8" are shorter than the 1/2" but not much.
    [​IMG]
    Looks like a lot of room but ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kinky blighter!