1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Computer going crazy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by planem997, 13 Jun 2010.

1. planem997

planem997 What's a Dremel?

well atm i just swapped some components in my computer and it was working fine but looking in task manger in windows its only picking out 4/8 core (i have a i7 920) and only 3 out of 6GB of ram is detected (YES IT IS 64 BIT VISTA) and also its getting these random freezes where is stops for about 1 min because letting its self work again. really annoyed because i need to computer to be working at its maximum potential and atm its not. can someone think of a solution please

thanks

Adam

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Whats the system spec's and what components did you change ?

Have you checked that HT is enabled.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You probably have an ASUS motherboard, am I right?
    There is an known issue with ASUS motherboard (all of them, ASUS presents no comment on the issue), that sometimes the motherboard can on ly see half your RAM if it's over 4GB, no mater the OS you have. Some RAM with ASUS motherboard are not affected, though.

4. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

^ If it's not that, you could run a memtest. You have to make a boot disk and it runs from the bios, so that should let you know how they all are. Can you see 6 gig during the memory test during bootup, before it goes in to windows?

5. planem997

i changes the motherboard which is a rampage extreme II, with a 920, 6GB of ram and a GTX 280, i think i have sorted out the freezing problem by updating GFX card drivers. using CPU Z its says 2 cores and 2 virtual cores are active. really bugging me because have a big video rendering project coming out

6. Teelzebub

Have you checked that all cores are enabled in the bios.

What make and spec is the ram, I have the same mobo and found that the Corsair 1800mhz ram wasn't compatible and only showed 4g instead of 6, A lot of people had the same problem and corsair knew about it.

Once I changed to the 1600mhz ram it worked perfect.

7. GoodBytes

Well it's not really Corsair fault.. when you have memory that works on EVERY motherboard, except ASUS... than you know it's ASUS the problem (which doesn't surprise me).

8. planem997

its the 1600 Mhz ram

9. GoodBytes

RAM manufacture please?
    And we still wait for the full system specs...

10. Teelzebub

I wasn't trying to blame anyone, It was a known issue with that ram and had a huge thread on the asus forum about it, Even a Corsair rep posted that the 1800mhz ram had issues with this board.

As for it only seeing 4 out of 8 cores I would check the settings in the bios and the one in msconfig start up how many cores to boot with, This one should be unchecked and greyed out if it is not greyed out only the amount of cores specified will be enabled on boot up.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2010
  11. planem997

ok, asus rampage extreme II
    I7 920
    corsair 1600MHz DDR3 6GB RAM
    3TB of storage
    GTX 280
    corsair 1KW PSU
    Vista 64 bit

ummm i think thats everything + case and optical drive thats all i can think of for system spec

12. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Have you tried re-seating the CPU & RAM?
    Have you connected the 8-pin plug from the PSU?

Come to think of it, if you have changed the motherboard and the CPU is still showing up with half its cores missing, I'd consider sending the CPU back for a new one. It could be a faulty one.

As for the RAM, with the controller on the CPU, theoretically, if the CPU is duff, you can't rule out RAM detection problems too.

13. planem997

o, i have had these parts for a year. its been under my bed in another computer, which i had installed vista on and 8 cores and 6GB showed up, but i just plugged in my harddrive from my old computer that im sell parts. i dont want to get rid of my HDD because its got everything on it and easier to just plug it in, than start new. yer compliced. have to sell one of my computer because need 2.5k for a DSLR camera

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

15. Teelzebub

Allready said in post No10 it should default unchecked and greyed out that way all cores will be enabled on boot up.