1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware QNAP Network Media Player NMP-1000P Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Nov 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mike_dowler

mike_dowler What's a Dremel?

Surely *raft* of extra features?

3. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

Not one to usually moan about spelling, but perhaps someone could just run an eye over that article again!

4. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Nice looking box, but for me nothing could beat just linking my PC to my HDTV as second monitor with DVI-HDMI cable.

But not everyone has their PC in the living room.

5. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Fixed that for me

:/

6. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Get her told lol

7. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Ditto, or swathe even; wrath is something khan has...

8. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

Fumy how it says "FLAC (including FLAC lossless)", because as most people know FLAC is always lossles ,it's in fact an acronym for 'Free Lossless Audio Codec'.
    The article also says "and even eSATA to connect directly to a PC" but no explanation how that is suppose to work, and I thought it was a mistake but see on the picture it has an ESATA port for HD and a separate one in a box labeled 'to PC' so it's a bit confusing.
    Add to that a line like "The remote still quite good" and you got the impression the author wasn't exactly sober/awake.

Still, it got the job done, and I've seen worse.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2010
  9. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

~edit~ deleted since my edit became a quoted reply instead of an edit, sorry about that, no idea why.

10. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

They want HOW MUCH! No gigity ethernet either? QNAP are going down slightly in my estimation after this...

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

have to admit, its one of the best looking interfaces at least, a lot more visual then all the other copy and past identical looking very bland file listings style like all the rest of the media players out there.

12. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

For £285 I just built a XBMC box for a colleague of mine using a passively-cooled dual-core 1.8GHz Atom on an ION2 motherboard with an SSD boot disk and 4gig of RAM.

This QNAP thing is possibly a simpler solution but mine is significantly more bang for you buck :)

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I C&P'd the list from the QNAP site - I think they just want to reiterate that FLAC is lossless, for people who don't know the acronym ;)

The "eSATA to PC" is where PC sees the internal hard drive in the QNAP as an external drive, so you can sit on your PC and copy stuff directly to the box without having to go via a network connection. Basically it operates as it would connecting to an internal hard drive making it a lot faster.

chimaera - the advantage of the QNAP is that it takes 5 minutes to setup, it has the best build quality and hard drive install I've ever seen for a media player, and has a beautiful interface. QNAP simply goes for the premium market, that's all. For our audience, it's not as attractive, no, but on other mainstream review websites I'm sure it'll get a better review.

Tags: Add Tags