1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Team post Braille ebook concept

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Now that is cool!

3. EvilRusk

EvilRusk What's a Dremel?

Wow that is such an obviously awesome product I can't believe I didn't think of it. It could have a significant impact on the range of books available to the blind. Any book that is electronic could be ready to read. Although it may have a limited market it would open millions more books to the blind (anything in e-print). Not just e-books though, what about any information? Wireless braille readers could allow blind people to access all kinds of information in public buildings (like information on what services are available to blind users etc etc).

Sometimes you just might want to read instead of listen, I can imagine "robo-voice" would get pretty tiring after a while!

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I think this is a great idea. It would be even better if you combine this tech into a normal reader so a family with a blind member could share a library and device with another family member.

5. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

this is great, hopefully this takes off.

6. War-Rasta

War-Rasta What's a Dremel?

Awesome idea! I don't know really any blind people but i can imagine this would be useful for them pretty much as regular ebook readers are for everybody else. The market will surely be a lot smaller but i believe it would still be big enough for this to be feasible.

7. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Fantastic idea, always love to see technology making peoples lives easier.

8. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Why would braille need such hi-tech displays? Aren't the letters all laid out in a grid, pretty sure braille screenreaders exist already.. colour me unimpressed

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i had the same had the same idea 5 years ago when i met a blind colegue that used a laptop with a screen reader, he even said that if the letters on the screen were elevated it would be enough, he even said something about feeling pictures with this method.

10. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

size weight, and duality.
    they are still largely mechanical devices as such they are limited in what they can display and how much can be displayed at a time.

Tags: Add Tags