1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News McAfee pledges refunds for bad update

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 28 Apr 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. MitchBomcanhao

MitchBomcanhao What's a Dremel?

knowing the average computer user, they will simply blame windows for failing and will never think of the AV solution as the culprit. % of users asking for refund will be almost zero, I guess.

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Who'd want an extension of their McAfee sub after this?! I'll be interested to hear how much people actually get.

4. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I do think it's right that McAffee should foot the repair bill. For many non-techs, the only solution would have been to call out their local computer store, and as far as I remember, they tend to charge ~£50 just to come out to you.

Mitch does have a point, however. It'll be interesting to see how many people actually claim.

5. MartyEF

MartyEF What's a Dremel?

Are you pleased to see McAfee putting its money where its mouth is? Yes.
    Are you disappointed that such an update was ever released? Yes.
    It should not have happened. Period.
    However, accidents will happen, and the fact that McAfee tries to compensate the ones who fell victim to it is a good thing. I don't think you should base your opinion of a company on one mistake. Still, it should not have happened and whatever they do to compensate for it it, if it happens again, their credibility goes down the drain. But it's not like they're the only ones who messed up like that. (Sigh.)

6. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

When Apple brick hardware, its a feature.

7. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

...Only if its not yours that gets bricked. Then its your fault for having a Windows machine within 20 miles.

8. eternum

eternum *blam* shotgun fanhole

Definitely a huge screw up, but good on them for going about things the right way when it comes to fixing their snafu. We'll see how well that response is executed, but so far it's a good response.

9. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I wonder exactly what they define as "reasonable". I maintain three XP systems with McAfee, and despite the fact that none of them died from this disaster, I wonder if I could still invoice them for their stupidity.

Beyond that, I wonder what limitations there are to the reasonable repair costs. They seem to be pretty gung-ho about getting users to fix it themselves, but I wonder if there's a clause in place that says if it's a trial copy of McAfee, you're ****ed.

I do know that apparently, they're refusing to honor corperate repair costs. You know, not that some IT departments haven't had to waste hours fixing this major ****up.

10. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

Well they are trying, way more than most companies would. Good for them.

If they are refusing corporate repair cost well they will lose corporate customers...

11. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

I agree.just Compare McAfee's approach to that of Sony

12. humdrumian_monkey

humdrumian_monkey What's a Dremel?

AVG is fine and best of all its free! Never had any bad updates either.

13. Ola.l

Ola.l What's a Dremel?

Here in Sweden this 'bad update' from McAfee shut down half of our largest telecom provider for one day. 29 Liquorstores and several other places where computers are needed in the field of work. I'd like to know what the first mentioned wants for compensation :)

Tags: Add Tags