1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Watch Dogs misses 1080p target on consoles

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 May 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

If I owned either of these consoles I'd be rather concerned by these performance issues - if the consoles are still relatively brand new and can't play the games of 'today' (BF4 was another that springs to mind) up to the promised standards (1080p60) then how will they ever cope with the games of the future... I realise that over time people manage to squeeze more and more from existing console hardware but even still...

3. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I am not that worried about console graphics, they were good but never awesome (or required to be so) and to compete with other disruptive technologies in that market place compromises were to be made.

It's probably that developers are still trying to find the limits and it's still trial and error until those limits are really known....although we all know the hardware is lacking in both compute cores and overall grunt.

People will still buy them and play them if every game from now until the end of it's life are on 720p....providing movie streaming is still 1080P or even 4k capable there's no real issue.

However, once again the consoles of today will cap the overall visual quality of PC gaming for years to come, but I am surprised it's started already.

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Trouble is, expectations were set too high, these games were first unveiled running on top end 2012 PC's with a Quad Core Intel CPU & SLI GPU setup powering them and people bought into the hype that it was what games on consoles only equivalent to a single GPU mid-range PC would look like.

5. GeorgeK

Exactly this - if I had bought one of them on the "promise" (and yes I use that word very loosely) that I would be playing the newest, shiniest games at 60fps at 1080p I would feel very, very aggrieved...

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Won't 1080p @ 60fps be old hat in a few years, what with the push to 4K.

7. GeorgeK

And that - I wonder how the consoles would cope with 4K :lol:

8. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

nuff said, they sould have not really pushed 1080p@60fps advertising too much, though can't say maybe the game (watch dogs) have not really been optimized that much, given when I saw AC4 on the XB1, I can't really understand why it is running at 900p@30fps, and (correct me if im wrong) 1080p@30fps on the PS4. the game is really not that graphics intensive IMHO (though excellent gameplay to be fair)

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

TBH I am more concerned that a game this late in its development - and having been delayed already - is STILL having performance problems.

Compared to something like Infamous (1080p native), it is difficult to see why they are having issues with this game performance wise. My only assumption is the cross platform (mainly to the previous generation consoles) nature of the game has caused a general lack of optimisation across both new consoles.

10. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

This makes me lol. I would be gutted If I had invested in a console.

11. SimoomiZ

SimoomiZ What's a Dremel?

Another explanation could be that they were shocked by the reaction to that 1080P/60 build demo footage and so they've reintroduced some eye candy from the impressive target build - at a performance cost.

With both 360 and PS3 wasn't it the case that only first party games looked anything like 'next-gen' for at least the first few years?

12. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I am glad I am PC master race

13. SimoomiZ

Not really.

Look at PS3/360 titles at similar early stage. This is a DX11 multi platform build afaik, one that's been in development for a long time.

14. SimoomiZ

The early first party games give a more realistic view of potential:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/04/14/infamous-second-sons-characters-are-120000-polygons-11-million-rendered-regularly-by-the-engine/

Interesting presentation: http://suckerpunch.playstation.com/images/stories/GDC14_infamous_second_son_engine_postmortem.pdf

Of course, Ubisoft wanting cross-platform parity can't put huge resources into such platform specific optimisations.

And Xbone needs DX12.

Last edited: 14 May 2014
  15. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

It doesn't surprise me that the consoles are not hitting 1080p 60fps since they have such a low spec in them, regardless of how developers can use the hardware in them.

I have a Xbox One and seeing it struggle with Titanfall of all games.

Yes DX12 may help the Xbox One, but even then it's still not going to hit the 1080p 60fps mark that most developers are going on about unless they drop the detail levels, down by quite a few notches in each game.

16. SimoomiZ

All the studios are saying it will make a big difference in trying to solve the XBO's resolution woes. It would have made a big difference to an AAA title like Titanfall.

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Lets hope DX12 does improve things otherwise we will have to put up with what happened last generation, 3-4 years of games being toned down to run on the lowest common denominator.

Then again the Xbox One will be two years old by then, so maybe it will just be a method for it to keep pace.

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

I want my xbox one to have an i7 and sli gtx 680`s ! all for under £400! and an ssd and 8gb of ram....

19. loftie

loftie Multimodder

What fps did the PS3 and 360 run at, 30?

20. GeorgeK

Lol - that'd be nice...

In all seriousness though - there are many articles on the interwebs where they build PCs for less than the cost of the xbone / PS4 that are better than either...