Other Electric Duster or Air Compressor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Comrade Woody, 3 Nov 2014.

1. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

I've been thinking about picking something up to replace the aerosol dusters I use to clean my PC.

After a quick look around online I came across this: https://www.metrovacworld.com/DataVac_Electric_Duster-ED500-220V/overview

From the reviews I've seen it seems like quite a nice product, but I can't get hold of one for a reasonable price in the UK. The 110V version can be had for around $50 (around £31) in the States, but the UK supplier wants literally three times that for the 220V model. Good product or not it isn't worth £93!

There have been a few of the 220V models on eBay but I've had no luck at all trying to get one. One buyer had one at around £65 including shipping and import fees, I messaged them to check what plug was on it, they got back to me confirming it was the right one but when I went back to the listing I found that they'd almost doubled the asking price. I messaged another seller with the same question and they also got back to me confirming it was a UK plug but I then found that they'd ended the listing as the stock was no longer available! The third listing is still on now and that's from antonline. They've completely ignored two messages on ebay and an additional two emails to their sales team so I don't want to deal with them.

Another issue is the 110V model has a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer, but so far as I understand the 220V model has only 12 months. I assume that's because they don't want to be shipping things back and forth internationally, but whatever the reason it's not very good.

So yeah, I suppose I should think about getting to the point shouldn't I... I'd like to know if anyone knows of an alternative to this product that's available in the UK?

As an alternative to an electric duster I've been considering an air compressor. The main problem with that would be space. I live in a small one bed flat so the units with larger reservoirs aren't really suitable. Can anyone recommend a decent compact air compressor that's not too expensive but still powerful?

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I asked the same question a while ago - I was suggested one of the jobbies that blows up air beds from somewhere like Argos. I never actually got round to buying one but that should work in principle... I would like one of those datavacs but I'm not personally going to stump up nearly £100 for one...

3. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Yeah it's a ridiculous price, it's a shame they're the only UK dealer. It'd be nice if one of the big retailers like Scan could stock them.

The issues I have with the aerosols is they don't maintain pressure, don't last long, are fairly expensive and not very good for the environment. It's also a recurring cost.

I know if I did buy the DataVac it would eventually work out cheaper, but I begrudge paying triple the domestic price for one.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

main drawback of a cheap hobby compressor is that compressors compress air, to the point that any moisture in the air will condense. This means you need to add a moisture filter (and remember to drain it) or you may accidentally squirt a mist of water at the part.
    You will also need to buy an air-gun, as just using a bare hose will not work with a small hobby compressor (you'll get small weak huffs of air). Full-size airguns intended for shop air will be too large for a hobby compressor to handle, so you'd be best off using a cheap airbrush ('single action') with the paint container removed.

By the time you've gotten all the bits together, the compressor may not end up much cheaper than the (overpriced) Datavac. But on the plus side, you'll have a compressor if you ever want to airbrush something.

5. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Yeah based on what I've looked at going with a compressor would be more expensive, it's just that the cost's more justified with that and as you say it can be used for other things.

I hadn't thought about the moisture issue so that's helpful to know, thank you.

6. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I use a compressor which I picked up from machine mart about 4 years ago. I have an inline moisture filter which catches any condensation. It has blasted out hundreds of machines with no issues. Well worth it in my opinion :)

7. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

What model's yours?

8. Pookie

Mine is branded Einhel. But its the same as many that were out at the time that must have been coming out of the same factory. But this is what you need to be looking at......

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-tiger-8250-2hp-24-litre-air-compressor

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/25cn-short-nozzle-blow-gun

And the all important filter.....https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-mf2-mini-air-filter-unit-with-auto-drai

EDIT: Just had a look on the bay and found this.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-Litre-...Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item2a3794fdee

You would still need the filter though!

Last edited: 4 Nov 2014
  9. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

10. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

[​IMG]

got it last Friday, and its ace think the uk seller converts these him self and the 12 months warranty is with him. tho i got it from amazon i suppose you could convert these yourself but then youd still lose the life time warranty.

also if you wana go for a small compressor route maybe look for somat like an airbrush compressor
    http://www.anest-iwata.co.uk/dettaglio.asp?Area=1&cat=17&prod=115

Last edited: 4 Nov 2014
  11. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Thanks a lot guys for the suggestions :)

The decision has been made for me, my girlfriend's ordered one of the Datavacs for me from the UK dealer on amazon.

I'll post back when it's arrived to let you know how it performs.

12. Pookie

Let us know how it works out. Personally I would be surprised if it could clean a grubby PC as well as a compressor. You can make pretty much any machine look almost new in less than 5 minutes with a compressor.

13. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Yeah I'm sure you're right, it won't have the same pressure as a compressor but it's supposed to be better than the canned air I've been using so hopefully it won't disappoint.

I'd still like to get a compressor in the future, as you say it'd be more powerful and it'd also be useful for other work, but the Datavac probably makes more sense at the moment because I don't have much space here.

I used to share a 3 bed semi detached with a work friend but I'm in a small flat on my own now so any work I do has to be done either in the living room or on a small shared balcony. I want to get more into modding and woodworking, I'd love a proper dedicated work space.

14. JaccoW

JaccoW Overspender on keyboards

Why not get one from European mainland and use a converter plug for a couple of bucks?

I mean €90 is roughly £71 + shipping. Add £5 for a plug and you're done.

15. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Well she's already ordered one now, she paid £85 inclusive so probably not much more than ordering from overseas.

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i got mine from mr pc clean

these things will blow the tops of your keyboard if you aint careful lol

oh you might want some ear defenders as well

they aren't a weak puff of air, they kick when you turn them on as well

Comrade Woody likes this.
  17. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I got mine a few years ago from a friend in the US and fortunately it wasn't picked up by Customs for import VAT. Even so the cost and shipping ended up being around £53. As mentioned it's LOUD but very effective, particulalry in getting the dust out of rad fins.

18. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

It just arrived, I've not had chance to use it properly yet but I fired it up briefly just to see what it was like and it's amazing. It does kick when you switch it on, and when I hit my keyboard with it the air pressure depressed the keys as it passed over them. Dusty cases and filters aren't going to know what hit them.

19. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Well it's got a turbine inside so it does a damn good job.

Granted a big compressor will out do it but for size and compactness IMHO it's worth it. Same the yanks use of leccy is wrong other wise it would be a steal.