1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Return to folding

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by andyjh, 25 Aug 2013.

1. andyjh

andyjh The Underdog

Thought I'd make a friendly hello post on these forums. I've been meaning to get back into folding for a while but completely forgot all about it. I have since but the FAH program in my start menu so it launches automatically instead so I don't forget :)

I'm still using the same configuration of computer, but I'm hoping within the next 3-4 months to add a PC cluster of 4-5 PCs (fx6300, 4gb ram) into the mixture folding alongside my existing setup

Folding unfortunately has to be a low priority for me in terms of expenditure due to house bills/personal life but I like to think of it as every little helps

The PC I'm using currently hosts a webserver, folding 24x7, virtual machines and a few other nifties. So the cluster I'm building will be used for clustered folding and clustered web hosting setup. I like my IT technologies so always into developing it

Now that that's over, could anyone confirm if this is the right setup for SMP folding as it's been a while and I haven't used it as I'm sure the last time I used the FAP SMP client I had to enter FAHSMP -4 or something

EDIT - Found it, should have been FAHSMP -SMP 4, I've been running in a single core mode like a dumb@ss :(

2. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Welcome back to the fold. :thumb:

3. andyjh

andyjh The Underdog

Thanks, also looking at purchasing new equipment next year. Mainly to develop IT skills.

What's the ppd like of 1 x 3820 CPU vs 5 x 8320 AMD CPU. I'm looking into clustered web hosting so essentially it would be 40 cores vs 8 cores (with hyperthreading) but Intel seem to be better unless it's a 4P config

I haven't decided fully on final config, but I'm spending possible £1500-2000 to include a new folding rig or cluster (not all the money on the setup, as I'm buying stuff like a new sound card, mic, server rack etc) the right itself will be around 800-900 I think

4. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Welcome back!

5. andyjh

andyjh The Underdog

Been thinking with the money I was going to spend I may just buy 2 or 3 second hand i2700k PC's should not me 100+ ppd I think on linux and gives me machines to play around with clustering

6. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

Gpus are hitting high ppd now too

sent from me phone :)

7. andyjh

andyjh The Underdog

Stanford changed everything all around again now?

I know it used to be i2700k would get around 40k ppd on linux and would trump GPUs. Then standford changed the -bigadv config so you needed lots of cores or something.

What's the best advice atm, should I go GPU setup?

8. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

A GTX660Ti will net 65k+PPD (for £200), more than any consumer CPU. To get -bigadv you will need twelve cores (and Linux), that is the only way to beat GPUs at the moment.

Unless you are really serious about Folding full-time I'd just buy a nice computer and Fold on it in my off time.

9. andyjh

andyjh The Underdog

Thanks, I'm no 100% into folding, it's just something I'd like to donate. If I had the money I'd do it, but I can't justify spending 10,000 on a few rigs just to fold with :p

I'll definately be built some cheap PC's though mainly for IT stuff. I don't net much ppd on this rig, but every little helps :)