1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Game Zero, and surprises in gaming

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 30 Nov 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. sstteevveenn

sstteevveenn What's a Dremel?

Well I guess hl2's blue gravity gun qualifies.

Carmageddon 2 when they suddenly started throwing trucks and combine harvesters into the mix. Then you can save up and buy the totally impractical yellow dump truck thing that doesn't even fit under the checkpoints.

The helicopters in gta vice city and again with the apache. Jet planes, skydiving, jetpacks etc in san andreas.

3. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

4. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

COD 4 - modern warfare, the sniper level... oh my god!
    MGS4 - the split screen scenes Oh my hat!

********* spoiler *********
    special thought to black ops 1 - right at the end when u find out u the other personality... just becos i never ever thought since COD4 that there was ever a story trying to be made in the COD crap series of single player campaigns.

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Lolz, the memories..

this was the game one of my schoolmates used to take the piss out of me and my 48k ZX Spectrum, given how utterly terrible ALL donkey kong clones were on the ZX.

6. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

The first time I was involved in a 500+ player combat in Planetside. I stood solid still for a full minute watching everyone pour past me towards the target, guns blazing.

Perhaps not what the game had hidden, but possibly one of the most organic "surprises" I've ever had in a game.

7. decosse

decosse What's a Dremel?

When the dogs jumped through the window in Resident Evil 1 (still the best one), I nearly actually cr**ed myself in RL.

Or trying to play more than 30 minutes of Doom 3 in the dark, equally as scary......

8. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Probably when the flood first show up in Halo:CE. Up till then you were fighting the flamboyant covenant who really didn't seem scary or menacing at all (just hard to kill on legendary). Suddenly the flood arrive and it's like playing a survival horror game, especially with the really creepy Jenkins helmet cam cutscene, that set the mood perfectly.

9. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

"Would you kindly..."

'nuff said

10. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Indeed :D

My all time favourite has to be the original Metal Gear Solid. I saw the demo on a playstation mag and was drawn in immediately. I played that demo and struggled at first with the whole stealth concept or being able to lean up against anything and peer around corners and still be able to pan the camera to look around.

MGS became an obsession and I played on the normal difficulty with my first run taking me almost 18 hours in total. I eventually got to play at the hardest level with a play time of just over 3 hours and narrowly missing out on the highest ranking achievement.

MGS had interesting characters from the go, great voice actors, atmosphere, seemless armed and unarmed combat, some fun with Meryl, torture and escape, BIG boss fights and a fine twist with Snake and Liquid as well as a sense of morality with the ending.

Sadly I've missed out on the later MGS series due to sticking with the PC platform and have come close to buying a PS just for that one game alone let alone any other prospectively good titles.

Oh and a film in currently in post production... Guess I am still obsessed with it :)

11. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

ai.. how can i forget my MGS1

was my favourite game of all time (nd in some sense still is) to find out masterchief was actually liquid all along in that Japanese way thats not corny, then came COD4 MW1 with that final boss of 3sec in slow mo, so creative, that became number 1 and toppled again by MGS4...

now waiting for the next game to be number 1... aliens colonial marines... pls oh pls be great.

12. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Docking a cobra MK III without a docking computer, good times.

13. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

TIL: Somebody actually owned a Dragon 32.

For me it has to be Treasure Island Dizzy on the ZX Spectrum. Full of little in-jokes like the copy of Sinclair Abuser magazine that serves no purpose than to poke fun at a similarly titled Sinclair magazine of it's day. That game got me hooked on gaming bigtime. I owe it a lot of thanks in a way.

14. Bhuvsta

Bhuvsta Minimodder

That moment in Tie Fighter when you see your flying with Darth Vader.

15. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

The original NES version of Legend of Zelda. Realizing there was a second difficulty with labrynths in different areas after beating the game the first time through.

Tags: Add Tags