1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Source DVD rip - Handbrake

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by WozzaGB, 20 Jan 2015.

1. WozzaGB

WozzaGB What's a Dremel?

Hi All

Recently purchased a NAS and decided it was a good idea to try and rip my DVDs and free up some space. Have downloaded Handbrake to transcode to MP4. After reading various articles, I then added libdvdcss.dll to the handbrake file. Unfortunately I still get scrambled playback on any of the files I transcode. Does anyone know how to make this work, or can suggest another program to try?

Thanks

2. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I normally use DVDFAB seems to do the job.

3. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I use MakeMKV to rip my discs, then Handbrake to transcode them to mp4.

Works perfectly for me.

4. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I've not long bought AnyMP4 off Groupon for about £9.99 for the same reason, it seems to do it all fine.

5. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

DVDfab was my decoder of choice for a long time but it had a law suit file against it (2014) and now has removed the functionality for its free version.

I've switch to Make MKV and i think i actually prefer it - its a little more hands on because you cant just press GO but its quicker because you get rid of the junk you dont need like other languages subtitles, menus etc.

I used to do that in hand brake but its easier to do in Make MKV.

if you need any help on the hanbrake settings let me know as ive spent a week or so playing with settings recently to optimise my encodes

6. WozzaGB

WozzaGB What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I'm now using MakeMKV, and then transcoding to MP4 for Chromecast streaming. :thumb:

Adam, I would be interested in finding out those optimal settings, if you get the chance maybe you could msg them over.

Cheers!

7. GMC

GMC Minimodder

MakeMKV can remove copy protection, handbrake can't and needs a separate program like AnyDVD to do that.
    Happy to offer handbrake settings I use for DVD and BluRay if they're of use to you.

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Another good thing if you use MakeMKV and then Handbrake is that you can rip a batch of MKVs, which is a quick low CPU usage but manual thing, then queue them in Handbrake and let it do it's slow high CPU usage encoding unattended overnight.

I used this site as a basic guide for settings: http://www.rokoding.com/handbrake_settings/
    Not sure how definitive it is, but it gave me a good starting point. I found 17-18 gave me a decent quality/storage balance and I decided to use passthrough on the main audio track.

9. Xir

Xir Modder

If I get this correctly, MakeMKV, doesn't alter the content, it just stores it in a different format.
    If I don't want to compress the content (which is what Handbrake does) but simply want to transform it back into "DVD-Standard" without recoding...how would I do that?
    Passthrough with Handbrake?

10. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Not sure what you mean by transform it back, but if you just want the original DVD, you can use anydvd to copy the disc to image or folders and store on your hard drive. A useful step prior to transcoding as it takes the optical drive out of the equation.

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If you want to store a DVD without any compression in a single file that is playable on media players then that is what makeMKV does. I believe it's refered to as "remuxing" (as opposed to re-encoding). The quality is the same as the original DVD and the process is quick.

When you say "DVD-Standard" do you mean an image of the actual disk? That isn't what makeMKV is for but I believe some of the other tools mentioned here can do that.

Handbrake's purpose is to transcode and compress the video into a smaller file with generally greater (or specific) compatibility.
    The passthrough audio option just lets you maximise audio quality by copying the audio track from the DVD/MKV rather than re-encoding.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2015
  12. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

handbrake settings ive researched and played around with testing:

constant quality vs avg bitrate = short story use CQ if you value quality over file size. Use avg bit-rate if specifics file sizes are required.

personally i use 20 CQ for blu-ray and they play very well on my 42" TV. I use 17 CQ for DVDs. I've tried higher settings on the blu-ray at 23 but i visually noticed a difference on my 21" monitor. It did however make a big impact on file size 20-30%.

the pre-sets have really improved over the years and i did some playing around with this and some more research in to the best setting. The general advise is set it as low as you can stand but that is a bit vague.

Turns out when you use CQ the encode speed only makes small difference to file size (using better detection to optimise quality at the cost of speed)

i found that Ultra, super, very fast, faster and fast are pants, they skip many checks required to preserve quality and produce larger files sizes on output. don't use them unless speed is a priority (not sure why it would be though)

Very fast if i remember has an odd output and actually produces a really small file size, the consensus was avoid it at all cost as it much sacrifice a lot of quality to achieve it.

Medium, slow and slower produce smaller file sizes while maintaining the CQ and under testing i could see no differences between the videos when playing side by side while sat within about 10 cm of my screen. oooo almost forgot avoid placebo it takes forever and gives only fractional improvement on file size.

Which to use depends on your CPU/patience or how anal you are around encoding.

I use slower which gives me a good balance of smaller file sizes but it doesnt take an age to encode.

I use a I5 4670K @4Ghz and it takes about 2hrs or so to encode a typical 2hr blu-ray film using these settings plus the below general ones.

"picture" tab

Always use "Strict" Anamorphic as that will preserve the original aspect ratio as well as the resolution. FYI handbrake is clever enough to crop black bars so leave it on automatic (dont want to increase the file size just for black bars)

"Filter" tab

Leave Decomb on default

Denoise is usually off unless you are encoding some old upscaled content like star trek next generation. For this i use NLMeans using a light preset. This effective removes the grain but at a slight cost to sharpness. I didnt go any higher as medium looked way too blurry for me. Basically made the Blu-ray look like a DVD.

Dont use denoise otherwise as it adds a considerable amount to encoding time. Im talking nearly doubling it !

audio - i always use pass through on the best audio on the blu-ray.

subtitles - there are a couple of ways of doing this so it worth researching but it involves subtitle edit.

I also encode at H.264 funnily enough and use MKV container as its more flexible although consoles especially older ones or older TVs cont support it.

13. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Broadly matches my experience though I also played with the audio settings to compress range a bit and increase bit rate from standard settings. Depends what you use output for, I watch on tablet, phone and big screen and keep constant RF 20 regardless of source. DRC helps me not reach for the volume every 2 mins.
    CQ is the way to go. Reduced file size is pointless if you dont enjoy watching it! Some of my DVD rips go up to 3.5GB but the average film probably sits between 1 and 1.5 GB.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

14. Xir

Xir Modder

I've now got .MKV containers with MPEG-2 content (DVD), an I'd like to "remux" it back to a format that can be burnt to DVD to be read in a DVD-Player.

I used makeMKV as it is fast and free (and should work for blurays).
    AnyDVD would probably do the same, but needs to be bought (please see comment below).

But yes, in general I'd like to make a backup of the DVD to play in the DVD player.
    My kids are at an age where they handle the disks themselves, but not old enough to do so carefully.
    This means they destroy their favorite disk in 2~6 weeks by scratching it heavily.

My simple solution is to only give them copies, keep the original ones in the shelves, and if they knacker it I burn them a new copy.

This may or may not be legal depending on the disk, and where you live. As far as I understand, for non copy protected disks and my usage this is legal in my country.
    (Legislation is a bit silly, personal copies are allowed (and paid for by a special fee on recordable media) but breaking copy protection to achieve this is not.)

So buying software that actively breaks copy protection (anyDVD) is not legal.

MakeMKV may do the the same, I've decided to not look into it :worried:

I used to do this in Nero, but my (original and paid for) copy of Nero for WinXP will not run under Win7. (Your version is too old, please buy a new one)
    :duh:

15. Xir

Xir Modder

Right, especially as with today's harddisk sizes I'd say spending ~2 Hours to compress something from 4,5GB to ~2GB isn't really worth the time.
    Once you're used to Blurays, DVD's are bad enough uncompressed.

For Bluray this is a different matter, when 20 movies fill a Terabyte, compression becomes interesting.

16. GMC

GMC Minimodder

That's a bit of a leap and I don't agree with your logic. There are lots of examples of things which can be used for nefarious purposes but which there is no prohibition on buying or owning. Just the core prohibition on a given use of.

As to the use of it, if a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody around...... does anybody care?

17. Xir

Xir Modder

You don't agree with my logic that this is silly, or what do you mean?

I can't help it, we've got a fee on recordable media since cassette's, (audio/video) and since then also recordable CD's and Blurays.

Ah, I've found a wikiarticle explaining it.

Ooooh, I didn't know this, actually every copying device, from fax to photocopier, cellphones upto NAS-disks are concerned.
    And the fees are quite high: sorry this is in German

For instance, a touchscreen cellphone, with >8GB costs 36€ in Levy :jawdrop:
    A CD Blank 6ct :D

Last edited: 28 Jan 2015
  18. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Sorry, I agree it is silly, but not that possessing the capability to circumvent protection is illegal.
    UK doesn't operate a pirate copying levy scheme (and hopefully will never do so). I hadn't realised such things existed! - what a horrible piece of legislation.

In the UK personal copies are likely to be okay provided you own the original and it is for private use. Draft legislation at this link seems to me to allow you to create a copy for your own use, and explicitly references format shifting and backup as legitimate reasons. [28B 5]

I'm sure that the big media companies will find a way round it (voluntary agreement not to make copies in their terms of use or similar) but the draft legislation goes as far as permitting the Secretary of State to require the copyright holder to provide a consumer with the means to exert their rights to make a private copy [296ZEA 3 b]

TL: DR - OP is in UK and should be okay provided he buys the original copy and restricts use to personal and private use.

19. Xir

Xir Modder

Oh we have the right to make a private copy (hence the Levy).
    The smart thing they did is allow private copies, but make circumventing (any form of) copy protection illegal that you'd need to make a said private copy.

Anyway: the question still stands:
    I pull my MPEG-2 Data into .MKV without compressing it, and would like to transfer (remux) this back into straight MPEG-2.
    How?

20. GMC

GMC Minimodder

You got me there, I don't know any software that converts to MPEG-2...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk