1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics TitanZ reviewed - and we were so not wrong ;)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harlequin, 11 Jun 2014.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Harle is super Anti Nvidia Intel at the min so just ignore his spiral and read a decent review.

Its a waste of money whatever way you put it. £3k for a graphics card is pure insanity.

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Indeed... product like this is target gpgpu. Think rendering cgi for films, physics simulations, etc. Basically it should be looked at as same market Tesla cards not a gaming gpu.

5. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Actually it kinda falls into it's own market as it is really designed to do both, game and develop.

But nvidia seem to be pushing it market wise towards gaming so it is understandable that's what reviews are testing it as.

Either way, it seems like a completely pointless product, either make a fast gaming card or a fast development card for the right monies, don't try to make both, it just leaves everyone going WTF

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

so my NVidia gfx card is anti nvida lulz - you make me laugh so much

and theres all of 2 reviews out - and both say the same thing - the 295X2 and 780Ti in sli are faster and cheaper.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

orly?

then why are NVidia marketing it as the ultimate gaming card? think you need to read the PR release a bit better

edit:

and you do actually realise they have 2 TiatnZ - that's what the TitanZ (sli) means - it takes 2 of them to beat the 295X2 for DP....

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

cgi rendering is done on renderfarms - which are CPU based.

srsly.

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I have to say Harlequin, your obsession with this GPU borders on the unhealthy...

So, a dual GPU card isn't worth it. Who knew :p?

Still, I think that Nvidia have done a spiffing job with the cooler - the 295X thing is horrible IMHO and performs worse. It would've been nice if it could've been kept to two slots but hey ho.

Let's see what the 8xx series brings to the table.

10. GuilleAcoustic

First thing: I wasn't aggressive with you ...
    Second thing: ... and I know what SLI means !

Marketing is marketing. Unlike Geforces, Titan's have UNcrippled FP64 performances and that's why they are more expensive ... maybe YOU should read technical articles.

Those cards are a mix of a geforce and a tesla. Yes they are expensive, but for people who only have 1x PCIe, can't purchase both a Tesla and an high end geforce or want a small workstation, then this is just perfect.

Another thing, as much as I like AMD I'll never use their card in a workstation, especially if it's running Linux!

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

maybe you should read those same articles then and see just why the K6000 is actually better than the titan at FP64.... the titanz is a gaming card through and through.

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

8xx is next year (SA reported production slip)

and how can onboard watercooling be horrible? tis better than my offboard solution for my GTX 480

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I prefer to dp on my K6000 and fps on my titanz.

Only on a geek forum could that sentence be interpreted (at all).

This is true though. I mean really, who gives a flying ****? This is all just willy waving by Nvidia, nobody's going to buy one unless they're compensating for something. Same goes for most dual GPU cards.

14. GuilleAcoustic

That's what I f***g hate about NVidia : Driver crippled performances to sell more Quadro/Tesla.

IMHO, the Titan black is a great versatile cards. If you want an ITX workstation, this is the way to go without breaking the piggy.

@Harle: No offense indeted mate, I'm in a pretty terrible mood lately (several problems) ... all apologies (sincerly). Like most of us, Titan Z is not something I'd buy ... but it is quite an achievement. I'd just like uncrippled geforces, at least for openGL.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Ooh ooh I want to SLI these.

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

if you run Sandra - and tick the K6000 option (to see the results ofc) - it leaps ahead of the Titan , same hardware - different bios and drivers.

gone are the days of `softmodding` a GeForce to a quadro - I did exactly that `back in the day` with a Geforce 256DDR - it was night and day in difference (for the right apps). , and yes NV are still doing it , same hardware , different tasking and ofc pricing.

the original titan is good for what it can do - just also damn expensive ;)

Last edited: 12 Jun 2014
  17. GuilleAcoustic

Yup that's a shame. People modded geforces into quadro / tesla by changing an SMD resistor, at the back of the card (too risky to be worth it IMHO).

K6000 as 200 more CUDA cores than the Titan, and slightly higher core frequency. The Titan Black is the real equivalent to the K6000.

If I had to rely on GPGPU, I'd go with a Firepro S7000 (just populate all available PCIe slot and make sure you have fans at the front of the case lol) :

[​IMG]

I'm keeping an eye on Caustic R2500 cards. This is a dual FPGA card specialized in real time caustic rendering : http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...inally-moves-us-towards-real-time-ray-tracing

[​IMG]

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

AFAIK the K6000 costs an extra £1000.

The Titan Z is not just for gamers but also CUDA developers, as the article you originally post mentions.
    i.e the gamer that wants to do some CUDA development.

If you only want to do CUDA development buy a Quadro or Tesla, if you only want to play games buy a GeForce,
    if you want to do both buy a Titan.

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I don't understand why people are defending the Titan, the 780Ti, the Titan Z or the 295X X2. They're obscenely expensive cards.

Under 1440p you hardly can justify a GTX 780Ti much less a Titan Z.

20. GuilleAcoustic

That's why I just bought a 770 for my new rig. The case of the Titan is a little different since it's kind of a "Jack-of-all-trades" ... it's between a geforce and a tesla, so more aimed at developpers willing to play and compute things on a single card.