1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Inafune: Japanese games are dead

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

This Inafume guy likes western style games (blood, gore etc.), but the problem is - most Japanese people like other type of games (I don't think it's a secret to anyone which ones). Just because there might not be too many games from Japan that Inafune likes, it doesn't mean Japanese gaming industry is dead.

3. tejas

tejas What's a Dremel?

Well the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo first party games seem to being doing ok. Guess Japanese gaming is not totally dead.

Credit to Capcom for supporting the PC market now and in the future with their games like DMC4, RE5 and Street Fighter IV. They are a company I have a lot of respect for, in particular Keiji Inafune.

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Don't worry Inafume-san, I'll be there as soon as possible to revive things!!

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

the whole market is going stagnante, let alone japans

6. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

very much looking forward to the next Devil May Cry game personally...

7. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I want a new Megaman, and none of the battle network crap. Give me the Original, or X and I swear I'll buy every capcom game that come out for the rest of that year.

8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

RapeLay not selling well?

9. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

He's right!
    I personally hate the japanese logic they put on mangas and games... 300 characters to a spit depth plot just to make it look complicate. I am sorry manga lovers, but they are all full of "manga-like" cliches. The last manga that was really cool was AKIRA. Back in the early 90's

10. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

The masses are not looking for thinker or challenging games. If it doesn't have a "easy" button some people won't touch it. Not enough action people thumb their noses to it.

Generalized IMO examples
    -WoW- Started out complex, now it's simple
    -FO series- Started out complex, now it's simple
    -FPSs- Auto heal vs med packs. (Semi)Realistic damage vs "Arcade" damage. Cookie cutter designs (Lets all use the U3 engine and change nothing).
    -Metal Gear series- Slowly went from hard to easy over time.
    -Resident Evil 5- Puzzles removed, weak story, action shooter not survival horror.
    List goes on

Is the Japanese industry dead? Japan (No), USA (Yes [RPGs, complex/thinkers]), UK (You tell me) :)

Last edited: 28 Sep 2009
  11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Yemerich: Watch DeathNote.

And yeah anime and manga is pretty much mostly cliche, but so are American cartoons.

Pocoyo Cheesecake!!

12. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

Capcom, Steel Battalion 2 please! That is all.

13. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Japanese games are poor IMO, sorry, but I agree with him to some extent, there games are beyond stagnant and cliche.

14. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

It is, but that could be the problem...lol

15. TWeaK

TWeaK Guest

+1.... million!!!!

Would be nice if it was on the PC also. Never owned any sort of Greystation so I missed out on some of the later X games. I wonder if they could pull off a Megaman RPG/FPS? Probably not given the failure of some of the other attempts at broadening the series.

Also, have you tried Megaman ZX on the DS? It's more RPG and a bit kiddy in places, but does bring back some of the great things from the series with side-scrolling goodness.

16. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

First party Nintendo titles are still doing well, but lets be honest, are nothing we would be interested in (wii fit, nintendogs).
    There are still a select few games coming out of Japan such as the last guardian which I think look excellent but they're so rare I think he's fundamentally right. I wonder if globalisation is really the answer though.

17. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

Yes, I think much the same.

18. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

+1 for reading/watching deathnote, it's fantastic.

Also, what do you characterise as a japanese game? a game that was made by a japanese company? because if so i have to disagree with you, there are a lot of fantastic games by japanese companies.

19. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Best and worst Japanese games article Bit-tech :D!?? I'm typing @ you Mr. Joe Martin!

20. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Deathnote turns into a convoluted mess much like most JRPG storylines by trying much too hard to be clever. Something similar I enjoyed a lot more was Code Geass. It's more action orientated, but I find a convoluted show goes down a lot easier if it isn't taking itself seriously.

On topic, name some games made by Japanese companies which you consider to be fantastic. The condition is it cant be first party Nintendo and it can't be JRPG unless it actually innovates on that decades old formula.

I admit the condition is slightly unfair, I would argue that all gaming is stagnating. If you take away Valve, Relic and Blizzard (my idea of PC's first party), everything is just a spiritual successor to a popular game. And I would rather play the latest Final Fantasy than (Bio)Shock game, as they at least don't regress in their depth.

Tags: Add Tags