1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel to deliver MIDs to market within 60 days

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Apr 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

So now I'm going to be able to play through half-life 2 on my next gen 9" EEE when I get it?

/me one happy chappy. :)

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Surely the poor results of the Internet satisfaction survey are due to the fact your using a teeny tiny screen, no mouse, and a miniscule keyboard. Somehow when people are squinting at their screens I can't see them thinking to themselves "darn, I wish the processor in this thing was going faster!"

4. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

The reason for x86 in a mobile internet device despite the 'existing MIDs' in the form of pocket PC PDA phones, smartphones, and iPhones are the APIs commonly used in web pages. These devices would be fine if they were browsing the web in the early 90s, but are woefully lacking when it comes to modern pages.
    Take flash as a big example, and consider the hottest mobile patform right now, the iPhone. It is very, very unlikely we will see flash on any of these platforms (unless the iPhone hackers manage to make it happen). Consider what Steve Jobs has had to say. MS has had windows mobile out there for even longer and they they have not been able to get real support either. The Nokia internet tables are the only thing I know of that can deal with flash, but they are dependent on bluetooth and wi-fi. Without the cell phone bit, the lack the 'mobile' part of Mobile Internet Device.

The Centrino Atom platform is an attempt to adress the problem in hardware since it seems to be a real bother for the software writers to deal with the problem. Since it already all works on x86, then why not try and get something x86 into that space?

Tags: Add Tags