1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Call of Duty: Black Ops to get mod tools

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Apr 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

can only be a good thing?

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well, looks like my £40 isn't wasted :)

4. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

They will likely never give away map tools as that will hurt DLC sales on PC. Even if they did, thanks to Gameservers monopoly, Activision will have to approve a map before it can be used to make sure people aren't copying DLC content and calling it a mod. It will likely also only work on unranked servers. Really it just seems that people are expecting far too much out of this. It's too late to save the game anyway the massive technical fail that the game is has killed it not to mention it's mediocrity.

5. Hrodwulf666

Hrodwulf666 Arse about tit master!

Hence chucking this out... it sounds like "sod it you deal with it, I've had enough, I'm off". So much for treyarch's PC dedication? Maybe the community can polish it up? Maybe not.

6. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Six months after release... the game is already dying due to Treyarch's less than brilliant release and then some god-awful gameplay. Even with mod-tools this isn't going to change anything...

Call of Duty prepare to get your ass handed to you by BF3.

7. fodder

fodder Minimodder

Hey, we could always have IWnet back ;P That was a cool way to spend 20 mins playing and 1 hour waiting with NO control of the tossers on when you got there.

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

On the bright side at least a big AAA title is getting some sort of tool. Perhaps this will prompt others to follow suit if the mod community really helps the game and shows what good mods can do.

9. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Unforeseen technical difficulties in an engine which is how many years old? Poor excuse for releasing a token gesture so late.

10. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

GTFO - cod is pretty much dead for me now since I refuse to buy any DLC and all the servers have upgraded. So they can use the mod tools and create a turd for what I care.

The mp is a ghost town and there are only a handful of "24/7 Nuketown claymore only" servers left that don't have DLC content.
    I shouldn't have got this one in the first place

11. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Too late, the game is dead and far better games coming.

12. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

The only thing I care about is if finally the promod will be made and available. The first good thing happening to Black Ops was the BlackTomato Mod, works perfectly. Now with mod tools competition can be turned up a notch :D

13. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

I think you underestimate the complexity of the software behind game creation, as well as many of the legal hurdles surrounding releasing tools. Most games use software libraries that aren't free, for one, which means that often obtaining permission to actually release the tools to the public in the first place can be very difficult, and may even require re-writing significant portions of the game editor's code to get around copyright and patent hurdles.

Then there's compatibility, which needs to be tested far more extensively when you can't ensure the tools are being run on top-end hardware. Not to mention, of course, fixing bugs which developers put up with internally but aren't suitable for the end user to deal with, features that they aren't allowed to or don't want to include for any number of reasons needing to be stripped away, improving the interface to be more intuitive (i.e. creating labels and icons for buttons that never had them internally), etc.

This is still a huge undertaking, and when you only have a couple of people devoted to the task while simultaneously working on DLC, future updates, and a new game entirely, be thankful you're getting mod tools at all. The situation could be way better, of course, and I wish it was, but don't make it sound like the delays are due to outright laziness or lack of ability. That's just unfair to the developers behind these games.

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I wonder when there'll be a mod to make it suck less campaign wise..

15. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

While I have no doubt all of this is true...

This is Blizzard Activision, with their biggest, fattest (non-WoW) franchise, selling millions of copies everytime. If BA are saying they can't do it, then they are ****ing lying. The obvious reason is to not hurt the sales of their own, hideously overpriced DLC.

16. sWW

sWW Minimodder

BF3 and the CoD8 will be out later this year so I doubt many people will still be playing this come the end of the year with or without mod support.

17. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

No you should definetly not have bought the game. If you want to play ONE map with only Claymore then you can save all your money and quit bying games all together because thoose points you are making are ridiculous.

18. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Gief mod support for BC2.

19. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I think you misunderstood. He refuses to pay for the DLC, and the only servers left that aren't running the DLC are the aforementioned claymore ones. He doesn't want to play them, but they are the only choice.

Tags: Add Tags