1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Arma 2: DayZ

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kingred, 24 Apr 2012.

1. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Anyone else been playing this mod for arma 2?

If not here is a little info!

Realistic "Zombies" with custom animations - These once human creatures will act and behave as if they have a heighten sense of hearing and smell but less sight, on top of that they use motion captured animations such as walking and eating from your unconscious body. If you look into any built up area you'll see them walking around waiting for their next victim which dares to venture in.

New weapons and vehicles! - Ever felt like you needed a Crossbow? Or maybe a less military like weapon? If you have then this is perfect for you as we have both of these created to high quality standards all ready for your use in this wasteland. On top of that you can even pick up the bolts fired from the Crossbow to reuse! Not only that we also have created custom vehicles which can be repaired and ridden around to show the world what you're made of!

Custom Medical System - ArmA II's magic medic feature is a thing of the past with this medical system - If you get shot, expect to bleed and to lose blood until you're bandaged up. Lost too much blood? Then expect to fall over unconscious. If you get shot in the leg then you won't be able to walk until you get morphine so you can man up. Pain is also a factor taken into consideration so without pain killers after taking an injury you'll continue to shake. This is medical at it's best!

Persistent Server - Fed up of spending so many hours working towards a goal or finding supplies and then the server crashes on you losing all your progress? Well with the DayZ server all stat's are saved to our external database so where ever you log off, whatever you have will be keep on you next time you come back in. This means you can spend however long you want doing what you want to do. As long as you don't die during the night!

Tons of new objects - We haven't just added in big things like weapons, we take pride in little details so expect to find things such as water canteens, a number of canned foods, junk and car parts (Along with more!) each of which have their own models, textures and UI imagery, once again all created to that high quality you expect in a full scale modification and we're sure you won't be disappointed with it. Nothing has been rushed.

Hunting and Survival - Eating and drinking is a core part of gameplay, you can tell if you need something by a very subtle GUI which doesn't effect the atmosphere, and if you don't fulfil those needs. You'll die. Wandering animals can killed and gutted (with the right tools) to gain access to their meat which can be eaten so you live longer but also to gain blood. For once these animals actually have a use.

Heavy Optimisation - The DayZ server has been designed to give the best play possible. Custom coding and edits have created a smooth running world which can easily have thousands of zombies spawned at once!

And Much More! - The only way to find out - is to survive!

http://www.dayzmod.com

TL;DR

A zombie mod which is literally the hardest thing you have played, walk about for several hours fearing literally everything, only to get shot in the back of the head by a newbie amd/or bleed out horribly screaming for help on voice comms.

2. gromacs

gromacs What's a Dremel?

Read those youtube comments, looks like this is a very praised mod! I haven't even finished Harvest Red yet; perhaps Dayz will be released by the time I've completed the campaign lol.

I used to only read BT on my RSS, never really visited the community forums... are people here really into Arma and similar games, as opposed to arcade-like BF3 shooters?

3. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Sounds amazing, I'll try this asap. What's the objective? Just to survive?

4. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Played for a bit last night - unfortunately it was the night-time cycle so it was a bit confusing wandering round in the dark. I eneded up swimming, but because there is no map and I didn't know what direction I was going I couldn't find my way back to land again! Then the european servers crashed!

One thing I found immediately was that it is very atmospheric - it really gives you a sense of loneliness and primevil fear! Also the messages between players offering to meet up somewhere to exchange very basic items gave it a desperate post apocaliptic feel.

5. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

The objective is to survive, It is currently in alpha so the saving system is a little buggy however,

There is nothing like stalking through a field and then discovering a building has an m4sd and 8 mags in it :)

Last edited: 24 Apr 2012
  6. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Played a bit more today in the daylight...

The problem I see is that it will just become a huge PvP map - already a lot of that going on. You stalk around for ages killing and avoiding zombies only to be killed by another player because they want your water. I can see it will be popular, but this one is not for me.

It is very well presented though I would encourage everyone to try it.

7. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Looks pretty good played quite a few zombie mods online and they are ok. Not my favorite. This looks well done tho. Think ill stick to playing co op maps.

What servers do you lot play on? Been very busy with uni but it finish at the end of week for summer so keen to get back into a few games here and there.

8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Sounds like they need to give more incentive for working together.

9. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Looks good, I'll try it this evening thanks :)

Ganking is nothing new (and it's common to human nature - just look at the opportunism following any disaster). Once you accept that you just adapt your gameplay to be much, much more careful.

10. rogerrabbits

Only a few of us. I didn't get too much fun out of the Arma campaigns because of all the bugs, but I play it online regularly. I LOVE playing Capture The Island.

11. Restayvien

Restayvien aka [ZiiP] Prometheus

Looks great. I've only tried to play Arma II online once though. It's seriously confusing as a new player and other people are completely uninterested in helping a newbie learn the ropes. It seemed pretty laggy too which is crazy seeing as I run BF3 on full settings with no noticeable slow down whatsoever.

If ZiiP guys start playing, I might get involved. Seems like the sort of game where starting out with some buddies drastically increases your chances.

12. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

It's a shame you had that experience - mostly I found the opposite (of course there were exceptions). To get the best out the game though you need to play with a squad/clan/group/team whatever you want to call it.

As for the lag, yes pre 1.6 patch it was quite bad, now it's a totally different story - of course you are going to get exceptions but this is now down to either bad server setup or poor mission design.

The DayZ mod is particularly well done even if it's not my cup of tea - it is in Alpha stage still, so there is a new version a couple of times a day it seems - each time Rocket makes it smoother and quicker. If this is the level of quality that Rocket produces then we should be in for a treat in Arma 3 as he is now officially an BI employee and Arma 3 mission designer!

13. rogerrabbits

Arma2 is an amazing game but still has some really bad design too. For example a lot of the stuff you need to learn, is only really tought by doing the campaign, and the campaign is awful :/ Harvest Red in particular. At first I thought it was just an ugly, clunky, boring FPS. It was only once I got to about the fourth mission and started flying around the huge country in my own chopper that I realised what it was all about. And even after finishing the whole campaign, there's still a lot to learn when it came to playing online.

I think the best way to learn stuff is by reading the forum and watching youtube movies. Hopefully Arma3 will ease players in to the game better.

14. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

I was looking at the steam top-sellers list when i realised that arma combined ops was on the list. It then struck me that it must be this mod that is causing all the fuss. Is it really that good?

I'd love to try it but i don't have combined ops.

15. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

you can get combined ops for £20 from gamersgate (or £10 for just operation arrowhead)

16. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

it's now at the top of the steam charts. That is very impressive. The Bohemia should be sending the mod team a box of chocolates.

17. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

The leader of the mod team works for BI so I reckon they might have given him a desk by the window. They may have even taken the bars off too!

Nice to see some Arma love from the world at large!

18. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

It will be better when the voice is properly implemented, you can get into a server in under a minute, and permadeath works.

Other than that it's pretty damn sweet.

19. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I've tried it a bit, first time was at night, and I couldn't see ANYTHING, really think they should start you with a torch, so the game is actually playable at night (as using flares is basically a death sentence)

During the day it was quite fun, biggest problem was just getting into a server.

I love that moment when you meet someone look at each other, and both think "are you going to shoot?". most of the time they shoot

20. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I've started playing it today, all severs were on night so probably not the best time to learn; I've died a few times.

I've been reading up on tactics so hopefully I'll do better tomorrow.

I absolutely love the concept, I can't believe it's taken this long for it to be done.

Oh and if you're playing at night make sure you have HDR turned up to max in your graphics settings, that way night actually looks like night.