1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Which mobo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Buzzons, 24 Nov 2012.

1. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

All,

Looking to get a spare box to do some video processing on and either going to get a 2700K or 3770K (depending on how much they cost when I come to get them)

However, I'm stuck at which mobo to get - it needs to be able to handle a semi decent overclock (nothing super amazing though as will be using air or one of those in built watercooling blocks from corsair)

Any suggestions for said mobo?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

There is the ASUS P8Z77-V series, or the Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H or the brand new Gigabyte Z77X-UD4

3. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

much difference?

4. GoodBytes

From what I can see, it comes down to motherboard features, and price, and the brand you prefer. (Oh I haven't look at MSI.. I need to check them when I have time). If you don't do any crazy OC, just plain basic one, if any, then any motherboard that you pick will do.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Virtually every mobo / every mobo will hit 4.5ghz np on those chips you listed, I'd probably pick up the cheapest asus board that supports the z77 chipset.

6. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Which has the easiest OC system? checking a random youtube vid the Z77X-UD3H seems to be really easy to hit 4.5 on.

7. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

I've got an Asus P8z68-v Pro and it takes a while to get past the boot screen. Just thought I should let you know.

8. GoodBytes

Ok you need to be more specific (I am interested in POST time, as all this instant boot is all new).
    Do you mean: It takes time before I see an image on the screen? OR/AND It takes time for the BIOS to it's thing in detecting everything (motherboard picture shows, or lots of text things passes) and starts Windows? OR/AND Windows takes a long time to start?

Also,

Do you have Windows 8 to take full advantage of UEFI? Is UEFI even enabled? DId you enable "Quick Boot" in the UEFI/BIOS menu?

9. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

I'm talking about the time it takes for the computer to show the bios screen (POST is hidden behind some fancy picture) and then the time it takes for that to go away. It is not ridiculous, about 5-6 seconds. Windows 7 itself used to take forever to boot up, however since I installed Windows 8 I am really happy with the boot time. It is just the few seconds that it takes for the image to appear. Infact, I think that if you disable the image and a bunch of other stuff you can get it down to one second. The only thing is, I prefer the nice image to a wall of text.

10. GoodBytes

In order for your computer to get "instant" boot, you need:
    -> Your motherboard set to UEFI mode. Windows 8 needs to be installed after. You can't switch afterwards Windows is installed. While it works, it won't take advantage of UEFI
    -> You need your GPU to support GOP, which allows the GPU to boot itself up instantly, and not wait several seconds, which then the BIOS kicks in (you see the motherboard picture on your screen). So far, the only way to get GOP support, is to contact the manufacture and request the GOP ready firmware for your GPU (they need precisely the exact model, with revision number), which once you receive it, you apply it. GOP graphic card can no longer work with system with no UEFI or UEFI disabled (you'll get a black screen). That is why manufacture don't do it unless you ask. It must be noted that not graphic card support this feature. It varies between model and manufacture. For example, I might have an a GeForce GTX 680, it might not support GOP, while your GTX 680, from someone else, does. Why? Because some manufacture uses firmware chips that either: can't be updated, or doesn't have enough room for GOP.

I expect on the next generation of cards, to either have an auto detect system for which mode to pick, or have 2 firmware chips with a jumper or switch, which allows you to pick which one you want (GOP support for UEFI, or regular non-GOP support for BIOS)

11. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

Well, I just learned something. Thanks

12. GoodBytes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc_PXEpq5ic&t=0m24s
    The above is dated from September 2011, so Windows 8 is in beta, and UEFI still in the works for this kind of technology to support.

AsRock demos their fast boot technology.. of course it's probably bias ( I mean if you look on the Gigabyte board you see a PCI/PCI-E slot being occupied by something, while the AsRock one doesn't)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdOAvlncCOw

In the above they use Intel integrated graphics which does support GOP.

13. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

This. I can say from experience that a 4.5GHz overclock is really easy with a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H.