1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Nvidia Takes Two Low-Res Panels To Make One High-Res Panel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by penryn 2 hertz, 4 Aug 2014.

1. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

Nvidia is going at it to find a way to release high-res displays for a cheaper price. The idea is to take two low-res displays and layer them together to form a single high-res display. Nvidia calls this technique "cascaded displays."

[​IMG]

Whenever this technique is applied, the resolution of the image is quadrupled. However, the quality doesn't do it justice. The real science behind this is essentially offsetting the background panel by a quarter-pixel, allowing pixels to fill in or shine through the missing spaces of the foremost panel in order to increase the resolution.

There is still a bit of fine tuning left to do on the software end to work out artifacts that are currently present in some scenarios, including an increase in refresh rate and quality as mentioned before. However, as time goes on Nvidia may find a way to introduce a new type of high-resolution display to the market. Only time will tell. Some are suggesting that this may also be a viable solution for the critically-acclaimed Oculus Rift.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Looks interesting... but why not just develop a higher res screen? I can't see this being particularly cheap to be honest. Higher res screens are getting cheaper all the time. I'd say this is around 5 years too late LOL

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Was thinking the same, but with 4K screens now being almost reasonably priced at £400 to £500, I think Nvidia should focus on getting a single gpu that can power games at 4K with 60fps.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I wrote about this right here last month, with links to the white paper for anyone who wants more detail.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

I'd imagine the team doing monitor stuff is different from the team doing gpus. It's the way it is in most companies.

4k monitors still have at least another £100 to go in price cuts before most consider them cheap enough. And until a mid range card can run them the price of the monitor itself is not relivent when you need £1k + in gpus to run it.