Education She has the decorating bug.

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 5 Aug 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Except it is me that has to do it as paying someone is not really an option.

What I am looking for is a simple way of moving furniture In particular an full sized office desk relocated when a firm I worked for redid their offices. This is a metal framed thing with a solid 1400 x 800 x 30mm top. the two draws and a 900mm back-plate can be removed as can the top. But that still leaves a heavy metal frame which I need to easily move about whilst painting and decoration and laying carpet.

I am thinking furniture rollers as I will also have wardrobes and chest of drawers to move to other rooms.

Advice really need here.

If you would like a picture of the beast (desk) to show you what I mean, let me know.

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I take it the metal frame can't be disassembled?

Would it not be possible to just move it to the opposite end of the room you are working in and cover it with some old sheets?

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

No the metal frame cannot be dissembled unfortunately so yes will need move it as I work around the room. Hence the need for some sort of wheeled device as it is far to heavy now for me to move it comfortably. It is not as if I can move it to the middle of the room and forget about it as when I come to laying the carpet I will need to move often.

Edit: This is pretty similar to my desk. http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/1500-grey-office-desks-wood-topmetal-legs-various-sizes/1075448615

Last edited: 5 Aug 2014
  4. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Do you have wooden flooring in the house? If so, just put some carpet underneath and slide it without damaging the floor?

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

You should be able to pick up some cheap rollers, I got a couple recently from Lidl (a bit like oversized skateboards) for moving stuff around for about a tenner each.

As for the decorating, now that the bug has hit your list of chores will only grow.

It won't just stop at the one room, we recently had a water leak from the up stairs bathroom causing some damage to the living room ceiling.
    We had to get the ceiling re-plastered and painted and internal wall fixed and painted, along with re-grouting of the bathroom floor tiles.

Somehow, what we ended up with was:

• Livingroom ceiling re-plastered and painted
    • Livingroom walls skimmed and painted
    • New table lamps
    • New standing lamp
    • New wall hangings (canvas, and pictures)
    • New floor rugs
    • New ceiling light
    • All woodwork (skirting and door frames) glossed (throughout whole house)
    • New internal doors throughout house
    • Bathroom tiles regrouted, twice (don't ask)
    • Bathroom silicon sealant redone, twice
    • Front entrance tiles regrouted
    • Kitchen extractor fan removed, hole filled and plastered
    • Kitchen walls painted
    • New oven hob
    • New oven overhead extractor
    • New microwave
    • New kitchen bin
    • New bedroom carpet
    • New stair carpet

All that because an area of about 1ft square got water damage

And since we had some nice weather, that meant the two sheds out back, front and back fences had to be painted (twice because someone wanted to change the colour, and the old colour showed through on the first coat).

My next task on my list is to paint the exterior window sills

Last edited: 5 Aug 2014
  6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Looking at the desk I a see it has adjustable feet at each corner. I wonder if I could remove these and put some heavy duty castors in their place?

7. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Come on Yoda, tell all, you tease :naughty:

8. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

My decorator put everything in a bundle in the middle of the room (sofa and desk were end-on). He then put dust sheets over them.

That way he could access all the walls and paint the ceiling over them with a long roller.

9. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Never sign off on a tradesman's work until the wife has seen it first :)

10. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Any of those things that run around house, write on the walls and then get all moody before running away?

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If your other half has the decorating bug, moving furniture and finding the right shade for the living room walls may not be your biggest problem. She's nest building. She's probably pregnant.

Just joking. Joking! :p

12. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

New you know what it's like as I work at a home furnishing company. My Mrs is always in trying change things in the house. Drives me crazy.

13. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

She give you a corner man, be happy.