1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Corsair Air 540 Build / Mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by GeorgeK, 29 Jul 2013.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Afternoon all - only a little light modding here (more of a build log). I fell in love with this case when I first saw it announced but there were a couple of things about it I felt could be improved upon - namely the lack of dust filters in certain places and the lack of a cable routing grommet on the bottom-most hole. Let the pics commence!

Here it is in all its glory

[​IMG]

First thing to fix - no dust filter on the top. For this I used a single layer of fly screen material cut to size and held in place with small magnets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next - same issue but on PSU intake hole

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the one of the biggest problems (which a lot of reviews picked up on) is the completely open bottom of the case

[​IMG]

For this I decided to use a triple layer of the same material as no air (really) is designed to flow through here.

[​IMG]

Much better!

[​IMG]

Finally for today - to address the one cable routing hole without a grommet

[​IMG]

For this I'm using the same method I employed on my current / old case. First take some neoprene rubber and trace through the hole to be filled

[​IMG]

Then cut out the grommet

[​IMG]

Next is to cut out a rectangle of self-adhesive foam and stick the grommet to the back of it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final step before attaching is to use a craft knife to cut through both layers - I had a try at copying Corsair's pattern :D

[​IMG]

Finally, line it up and attach

Back
    [​IMG]

Front
    [​IMG]

End result for today (oh and I've added some AF140 Quiet Editions to the front and will add another to the back tomorrow along with the rest of my kit!)

[​IMG]

More tomorrow!

2. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Interested to hear how you get on, considering getting one of these as I love the looks!

3. Ripitup121

Ripitup121 MMMMMMm watercooling....

Love that case and looking forward to seeing how this turns out, wish Corsair would release a cube case to allow 360 rads to fit in front and top. Keep up the good work.

Rip:thumb:

4. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Oh god please stop showing me this case... Must.not.buy.one.no.already.have.one.......

Looks fantastic mate !

Nice to see the fly screen stuff in there and it actually looks very pleasant. Sadly my remnants are white so I've not used it but I think I'll order some black now :)

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Well - it's done! (almost - still waiting on a set of extension from Shrop to really finish things off nicely and I might add another LED strip / move the existing one as the H100i blocks a lot of the light

I must say however that this case is the easiest thing to build in - there's just so much space! Cable routing is a dream - I haven't used a single cable tie! (Although I will when I finish things off properly)

Right - pics: (oh and apologies for the quality - some are phone pics and I'm in a rush!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obligatory 'lights-out' shot:

[​IMG]

The looks are what made me fall in love with it!

Cheers mate - I think from looking around you'd manage a 360 in the front and a 240 / 280 in the top... Not bad for a case this compact :D

Thanks again for the flyscreen tip! I ended up ordering it from the company you linked to but on ebay :thumb:

Edit: One thing I've found this morning is that it seems to have cut about 5°c off my SLI temps too :D That's with the intake (AF140 Quiet Editions) on full whack but they're mighty quiet to be fair...

Last edited: 31 Jul 2013
  6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Here's a quick shot of mine..

[​IMG]

It's really odd that the bottom hole doesn't come with a rubber grommet.

7. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

If youre having the top fans venting, putting a 'filter' on them will block air more than filter it. Same thing goes on the bottom, air would flow out more than in, no filter needed. Anyways, build on i wanna see how it comes out :)

8. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Nice to see you doing a little modding :D good stuff