1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Can I use a soldering gun to cover small holes on the bottom of my PC case?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Cheaptrick, 31 Aug 2013.

1. Cheaptrick

Cheaptrick What's a Dremel?

I need help with modding my case. I drilled couple of screw holes at the bottom of my PC case for me to attach a Koolance PMP-500 pump. I ended up moving the pump slightly & drilling couple of new screw holes close to the holes that I drilled before. I tried covering the old screw holes with steel reinforced JB Weld but the epoxy chips when I make a screw hole close to it. Thinking of soldering the holes to patch it but all the self help info I've read on patching thin sheet of metal talks about using a blow torch, TIG or MIG welding. Any other simple ways to solder close the holes such as using a soldering gun?

Below are pictures of my mod. I was planning to post a project log here but it took me a long time to register here I ended up doing most of the mod before I can post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also any idea what kind of door hinge I can use so I can close/open my storage drive compartment?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Dec 2013
  2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum :)

Solder I doubt would work as it doesn't have anything to stick to, when you heat solder up it wants to flow, and usually it will flow to a really flux-y place if there is one, or it will stick to your iron, I don't think you are going to be able to make it flow and cover the hole.

3. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

When soldering you are using you iron to heat the parts to be soldered which needs to be around 300c before the solder will stick to it. So you need to the case to 300c to solder it which will take a lot of power! Solder for electronics is also very soft.

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's doable. Lead was the original auto body repair material before bondo was invented. You will need a much more powerful soldering iron. Something like an antique 100 watt gun-type or a propane torch will work, However, even with flux getting the solder to fill the hole will be tricky.
    The torch way will be easier. You will need something like a brick under the hole to keep the tin from dripping through, and be prepared to sand a big blob on the top down.
    -Anyway, have you thought about making a coverplate instead?

5. Cheaptrick

Cheaptrick What's a Dremel?

I got a 100 w soldering gun. Might try soldering first or I'll go with your idea of a cover plate.

6. Concept73

Concept73 Wannabe modder.

nice ickle scout you've got there! loop looks really nicely planned out!

7. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

I vote for drilling a larger hole and using washers. Will turn out cleaner/better in the end :)

8. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Honestly if the holes are that small can't you just put a bit of filler, wet and dry and a dab of paint?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

9. Kyle P JMC

Kyle P JMC What's a Dremel?

Did you get this to work Cheaptrick?

Making sure the edges of the holes are free from paint might help it stick.

Also maybe try using a small brass plate held tightly to the back of the hole, i believe its very hard to get solder to stick to brass (i think) so will stop the solder falling through. Someone else might know better than me about that though.

:)