1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 16 Jul 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

i usually like Razer products ..... but from the sound of this review this isnt what i would buy....

3. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

4. McSteel

McSteel Shape Memory Alloy

Steelseries 6Gv2.

Everything else is a gimmick for me... Well, I would've liked to be able to purchase Deck keyboards, but I'll settle for what I can have.

5. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Sure for some people the clicking noise can be annoying but if you aren't bothered by it then this keyboard is really nice to use. I have a friend who has one and he loves it.

This is something you will either love or wont be able to stand. Personally I hate the clickyness.

6. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

oh please razer and steelseries, make a wireless backlit ergonomic keyboard!

7. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

The review seems to really make this £110 keyboard sound like a waste of money. And I completely agree, anyone who spends £110 on a KEYBOARD, to them money is obviously of no concern. Therefore why the hell, if this keyboard is alienating and not worth it's premium price tag, does it get a 12/25 for value. That seems pretty damn high to me, considering most people are happy with keyboards (far) less than half that price that have similiar useful functionality.

8. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Wait, mechanical keyboards can be loud? Who would have thought! Damn, what's next? Will high-power CPUs require better cooling than low-power ones? What a strange world we live in.

Ficky Pucker likes this.
  9. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Well I have one and its amazing. I think if you can not manage to adapt to the key printing then you shouldn't buy one as the major reasons Razer keyboards are great is (all) keys are programmable and this one is mechanical. Hence if you need to look at your keyboard you will probably not be some one who would use macro's and there fore would be better off with a cheaper membrane keyboard anyway. (yes it takes a while to get used to), but when u need the light any way you cant really see the shift keys...........

Who looks at the keys?
    I mean are we not supposed to learn touch typing anyway.......

The actual annoying thing is not the shift keys but the font. It is not standard but (I think its called) Digital.
    Either way refer to above statement.

10. sstteevveenn

sstteevveenn What's a Dremel?

Cherry blues aren't really that loud. It's only a tiny click. I think I'm quieter with them than when I'm smashing my fingers into the desk all the time on other keyboards, although I guess it's possible you hear the click more if someone else is typing. Still, you can get a g80-3000 for £60 so why you would want this monstrosity is beyond me.

11. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I was in the market for a mechanical keyboard not too long ago and chose the XArmor U9BL-S over this Razer because the Razer is made almost entirely out of cheap, shiny plastic. That and the silly font on the keys were a major turnoff, even given the Razer's better price and greater functionality (if you really want to use the programmable keys, that is).

12. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Have one, love it. You don't run into problems with the key material unless you drag your fingers on the keys, which last I checked isn't exactly the way you're supposed to type..

13. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

I disagree 1000% with this review. I've owned 4 different Razer Keyboards and owned the Blackwidow Ultimate since it launched. It is way better than this review makes it out to be. It is one of the best keyboards they make.

14. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

107.99 (inc VAT)

^ I lolled

15. KiNETiK

KiNETiK What's a Dremel?

Filco Majestouch Cheesecake

16. FvD

FvD What's a Dremel?

Snide sounding review lacking in important points.

*Key rollover?
    It connects via USB so a maximum of 6 keys pressed, but would have been nice to know if theres a lower bound, since there's no info on the Razer page.

*Ghosting?
    Razer states "minimized ghosting".... so what about it?

*Switch type?
    50cN actuation force and "loud" could mean MX Blues.
    Most people uncommon to mechanical keyboards tend to bottom out the keys and hit the mounting plate, thus producing audible noise.(bad habit from rubber keyboards)
    Pulling a cap would have taken 2 minutes and a fork.

You successfully ignored key aspects of a keyboard review and focused solely on "shiny and gimmicky" stuff.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2011
  17. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

You missed the main point of buying a mechanical keyboard. You don't buy one if you are so insistent on sound... then you either buy a cheaper membrane keyboard or a mechanical one which has switches which are quieter.

I play FPS games on my keyboard and I find the texture on the keyboard to be just fine. I do not find it different to other keyboards that I've used. I agree with the reviewer that yes it is loud and the sound gets picked up by my mike. But still the typing experience and the fact that it is backlit far outweighs the cons. If you actually look at the schematics of the switches cherry does manufacture them with an LED, and I assume that it would be much better implemented than if you use one from a membrane keyboard.

Oh and FvD, yes the switches used in the blackwidow keyboards are blue. I agree that if I still tend to bottom out keys so it has the click clack sound but that is still part of the learning curve in using new gadgets. It also has been a long time since I used a mechanical keyboard since the last time I used it was in kindergarten.

But all in all, it is a great keyboard. I love using it and I think it deserves a better score

18. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

£108 for a keyboard....you have to be utterly brain dead to pay that much for a Keyboard.

19. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Or just be braindead to not understand why mechanical keyboards cost more...

Oh, and for those that care, yes, the Blackwidow uses MX Cherry Blues.

20. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Razer's is a 2KRO, Blue switch mechanical keyboard.

Which is a failure, since most mechanical keyboards out there support 6KRO over USB (some even NKRO), and NKRO over PS/2.

Blue switches aren't even suited for gaming, brown/black/red are better.

Tags: Add Tags