1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Intel should simplify its CPU naming policy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 29 Nov 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. iwod

iwod What's a Dremel?

And it is not even about naming either, they should simply shrink their product line. Not having the same core CPU but one with VT-D and one without.

3. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Surely if a non-gamer friend wants a laptop, you tell them to buy the one with the nicest display, keyboard and battery life? CPU performance is moot as soon as you put an SSD in it!

4. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

i've always been fond of the Pentium name. It reminds of the P3 and P4 days and the speed war going on between AMD and Intel.

This speed war was picked up by mainstream media and the Pentium name was thrusted into average joes pc vocabulary and resulting in todays PC world mess. Intel should have binned Celeron and Pentium when they switched to the core i series. An i1 and i2 would have done the job and average joe responds well to numbers.....

5. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I can honestly say that Intel have me completely lost with there CPU's, my last intel chip was a q6600 and back then I could follow what was going on pretty easily. Now there are 3 different sockets (I think) and then you have core i3, i5 and i7 which from what i've seen all have similar performance depending on model numbers.

I may sound like I don't know what i'm talking about here - which is because I don't !

6. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Forget ordinary consumers, it's a confusing scheme for CS students too! Obviously, being a bit-techer I know the ins and outs of each architecture, but even otherwise knowledgeable people are stumped by the naming scheme. Here's an example of a conversation I had with a friend:

7. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

i think change naming convention to 1234etc... and if they cant... just add the date to whatever name they have... 2011 edition and 2012 edition... maybe add month if there is more than one a year.. ppl can then just by that, the latest to older and see price difference.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

"Fast Chip", "Faster Chip" and "Even Faster Chip" (or F, F+ and F++)?

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

You can imagine the hyperbole after a few years of that naming convention, especially if AMD got in on it...

10. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Maybe I am a cynic but what motivation would Intel have for changing the naming convention if the confusion is causing joe public to buy all the old stock of crappy Pentium chips in desktops/laptops?

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

TBH compared to Nvidia's mobile GPU line up, Intels CPU naming scheme is child's play.

12. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

The naming conventions clearly help them to shift old stock from the shelves. Its probably doing exactly what it was designed to do - confuse.

13. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

intel buster, intel buster-buster, intel buster-buster-buster-2000 baby!

14. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

and we are not even talking about the chipsets. Right now Intel offers, for LGA1155 only :

- B75
    - P67, P75
    - H61, H67, H77
    - Q77
    - Z68, Z75, Z77, Z78

it's far too many chipsets ... how many, even among us, know the exact differences between all those ?

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Wasn't that the idea behind the star rating system launched alongside the new logos back in 2009?

16. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

you evil man bringing this up....

17. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Easy, first of all Z78 doesn't exist (at least, not yet). Ignore the others and go for Z77 :p

18. GuilleAcoustic

Oh yeaaaaaaah xD .... just (re)mentioned it because I'm asked twice a day by friends who are lost with Intel chipsets. They are aware of celeron < pentium < i3 < i5 < i7 .... but when it comes to chipsets ....

Oops, my bad .... missed copy / paste :D

19. dogknees

dogknees Minimodder

Is it more complex than understanding all the options of engines in a car? We have displacement, cylinder count and layout, turbo/supercharging, petrol/diesel/gas/hybrid/electric/..., number of gear ratios and their spread, manual/automatic,....

Seems just as complex to me and people seem to be able to make choices that suit them when buying a car. Why is this (cpu lines and models) any harder?

Or is it that we still seem to be treating PCs as somehow different, as something people shouldn't have to expend effort learning about? Maybe it's about time people invested some time and effort to understand something that's as big a part of their lives as their cars.

20. GuilleAcoustic

I think that most people only looks at this when bying a car :

- overall look
    - Price
    - horse power
    - consumption
    - luggage compartment size

eventually the amount of seats when more than 2 childrens.

Tags: Add Tags