1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Canonical signs Yahoo! ad deal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

FIGHT!

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

The main reason why people will revert to Google is because Yahoo's search engine's back-end is Bing, kind of bringing revenue also to Microsoft, aiding in Launchpad's Number One bug on staying open.

4. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I don't know any Linux user who uses Yahoo.. so I don't really see how they think they'll make a shiny quarter from this deal.

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Pft, what's the point. It's like saying "Yeah, your Porsche comes with square wheels, but we'll change them for perfectly round ones if you want to?"

6. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

eh, more power to Canonical .. I couldn't give a rats a__ what search engine is 'default' .. as long as I have the freedom to change it to what I want then I'm fine

7. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

And the words of Eric Schmidt recently don't worry you at all? Lets put it this way even the founder of Firefox has said go to Bing........

8. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

So some of you are saying you are happy for the revenue from ads going back to google and Mozilla instead of the Ubuntu guys?

Christ, you open source guys really need to think before that brainfart kicks in again.

9. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

More people are realizing that Google is a govt run intel apparatus. Not that this will stop their work (or fanboys).

10. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I don't know any competent computer user that uses Yahoo!. Canonical needs to find a different revenue stream. Maybe in-OS ads?

11. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

In OS ads? Are you serious? If my OS started ad spamming me i'd ditch it just on principle.

12. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Well you will probably love Googles effort when it finally gets here. It will be laden with the stuff otherwise it wont be making them any money.

13. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Actually, I could see google offering always on net appliances for free, with the cost being paid advertisements that are also always on.

14. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

If Yahoo! want to pay Canonical to make Yahoo! the default, then bully for them.
    The fact of the matter is that 99.9% of Ubuntu users know how to change their default search engine with a minimum of fuss. A lot of them don't even have to 'point-and-click' to do it. lol.

15. gnutonian

gnutonian What's a Dremel?

Free != open source. In your defense, Ubuntu != comprehension of Free Software.

Google can go have intercourse with itself. People need to learn to use engines like Scroogle, Yauba or Ixquick. Privacy and freedom are very, very important. In this digital age things can come back to proverbially bite you in the arse much easier than they used to.

This "deal" is just another tick on the huge list of why Ubuntu just doesn't get free software (as in freedom rather than no-cost). They definitely are a "Linux" distro, not a GNU/Linux distro... almost a Windows without Microsoft or Mac OS without Apple. They couldn't care less about software freedom but they're happy freeloading on GNU software such as, oh, I don't know, GNOME, the entire front-end of "their" distribution. :rolleyes:

Tags: Add Tags