1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Why have you been kicked out of PC World

Discussion in 'General' started by GaryP, 8 Sep 2011.

1. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Following a series of posts in another thread (http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=216052&page=2) I thought it would be more appropriate to post our stories here :)

I'll repeat mine from before...

Got kicked out the first time becuase an 'expert' was trying to flog a couple a machine that will play 'all the latest games' with a 5450 and when he walked away from the couple I told them he was lying. He heard so I asked him to explain to me how a 5450 will play all the latest games. When he started stammering and stuttering the couple knew I was telling the truth and so walked out. Floor manager asked me to leave.

Last time was a few weeks ago when the 'Tech Guys' or 'T**t Guys' were about to charge someone in front of me £25 to fit RAM ! I told the bloke in front of me in the queue if he could not do it himself, and how easy it was, to take it to the local pc shop and I doubt he would charge a fiver. It would take someone less than 3 mins to undo the case replace RAM and refitand about 5 mins to check it worked.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The last time I was in PC World not making a pre-decided purchase (i.e. picking up a laptop/TV that we had already scoped out as a good deal) I was asked to leave simply because I was looking around and, quote, "Not old enough to be in the store".

3. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

When I do finally flip out it will be in a PC World or Lakeland Plastics. Two shops that need blowing off the face of the earth.

Either that or I will suffer stroke in their as my blood pressure goes through the roof.

4. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

I was asked to leave Best Buy when one of the store sales people were trying to flog a $120 wireless router to an older gentleman. I stepped in and explained that the $60 router would work just fine for what he wanted.

I was then asked to leave

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Whaaaaa...? Having no idea of your age, I would assume at least 25. Is the minimum age requirement 65? So they have more chance of bullsh*tting you? lol

I've never been asked to leave, but I do try. I just seem to slip under the radar lol Advising their customers, rearranging stock/furniture. Stuff like that.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i was jailbreaking as many iOS devices i can get my hands on in Apple stores....... never been asked to leave. yet :D

lm_wfc and David like this.
  7. Canon

Canon Reformed

Totally unrelated but I got ID checked in Maplin yesterday buying thermal paste....what the ****.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Well it's in a syringe, y'see? ;) :hehe:

9. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Its nice to see you guys giving good advice like this, i must admit i tend to do this also, it just seems right to give true info to customers in shop when the shop doesnt.

Never been thrown out though.

10. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Tossed out of Office Depot, Staples, Best Buy and a Fry's Electronics.

Look folks, tell the truth or get out of it. I feel actually lucky I had to quit working when I did, I was getting to the point where honesty was impossible.

11. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I've never been asked to leave PC world, but I did cause a confusing situation for a couple and a member of staff.

Minding my own business having a browse a chap politely asks about a cable fitting something, can't recall exactly what he was after. Anyway I was helping out best I could when a member of staff ask me me If I needed help, the couple then looked up, looked at me and looked at the member of staff. They said thanks for your help to me and walked away leaving me to continue browsing and the member of staff totally confused.

I get it all the time as i'm always shirt and tied up with working as a IT tech, quite often If I'm in maplins, PC world - even had it in BnQ before now. Think they presume you must be some kind of management being in the store in a shirt and tie lol

12. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Hmmm, the possibilities *scurries off to find a shirt and tie* lol

13. David

I was just in B&Q and some old guy in an orange shirt asked me if I wanted decking. Luckily, I got the first punch in, and that was the end of that; close call though! :hehe:

*grabs coat, and leaves*

14. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

edit

Action_Parsnip and Pete J like this.
  15. murraynt

murraynt Modder

:hehe:
    :hehe:

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Never been kicked out of any PC shop, usually don't go around often enough for anything to happen in the first place.

Been stopped at Best Buy a couple times. Seems people think you're stealing things when you walk straight to a department, look around for a few seconds and walk straight back out the door empty handed. Not my fault they have poor selection of almost everything.

17. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I tend to get asked questions in stores at times as well. Not sure why, as people in stores usually wear shirts in the company colors while I always walk around in black cargo pants and a black t-shirt.

Never been thrown out, though. Probably because I know exactly what I need when I enter the store. I just walk straight to the shelf, pick up the item, pay and leave. (I hate physical stores...)

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I feel sorry for [some of] the sales assistants at PC World and similar stores - they are just doing a minimum wage job with no (or very basic) training. The ones who annoy me are the ones who think they can blag their way through a technical problem with people like us who know about hardware... lol.

I have to say I'm impressed that the Maplin staff know what they are talking about.

19. Canon

Canon Reformed

Really? In my local Maplin there is a fella that is very chatty, infact I am convinced he has a drinking problem as he keeps asking me if I am going to the off license or out to a party when I'm at the till. Understandable if I came in with glowsticks and a stench of beer, but as it happens that's not the time for buying overpriced cables :hehe:

Nice bloke though.

20. David

It's the ones who blantantly bullsh!t people who don't know what they're looking for that really get on my t!ts. Those poor people go into the store looking for help.

I have much more respect for the few that will admit if they're not 100% sure, and then offer to check for you.

Our local store staff are very good, to be fair. They know their stock extremely well, and can usually tell you if they have what you need in store, immediately, without referring to a computer.