1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Kindle Vs tablet Opinions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sandys, 18 Nov 2013.

1. sandys

sandys Multimodder

One for kindle users I suppose.

Thinking about a chrismas prezzie choice, currently the recipient of proposed gift uses a Kindle all the time for books and an old 7” tab 2 for games and all web use.

I was considering a replacement combined device for her for a gift, like a better small tablet, say Mini Retina or Nexus 7 2 etc. but not really sure how these stack up on the reading stakes.

I could just get a paperwhite but think she might appreciate a convergence device.

Anyone here use tablets with good screen as a Kindle, what are the pros and cons?

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Reading on a tablet as opposed to e-ink is really disorientating after a prolonged period.

If the device is primarily for reading books etc, kindle e-ink type device is the way to go.

If you want any other functionality I don't see the point in Amazon's android device - a friend has one and he is incredibly locked down for an android device.

I think you are on to the right track with the Nexus 7. Web use is great and I've never had an issue. And they can continue to use their kindle for books (the amazon app synchs all your books anyway across all your devices, so no worries there in a pinch.).

However, prolonged reading of ebooks on a tablet leaves an image of a page burned on to my retinas for a period of half an hour sometimes... I can't recommend it. Anyone who does must either be impervious to the effects of the tablets illumination (sun glasses to read?) or not read for extended periods.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I'd definitely keep them separate - a proper e-ink kindle for reading and a proper non-kindle tablet (like a nexus 7 2) for other stuff.

Perhaps upgrade her kindle - I have the paperwhite and it's fantastic :)

4. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Disclosure: I don't have a Kindle, and have only held one for a matter of seconds.

- The Kindle's advantages are battery life and e-ink. E-ink is not essential (IMO) unless you insist on outdoor reading all the time.

- Tablets/phablets have a much broader range of advantages. If you can live with the drastic reduction in battery life I can't see why you'd go for a Kindle.

I've read whole books on a 4" screen mobile phone. I now have a Samsung Note. I've never experienced any 'retina-burn-in', headaches, etc. In bed I use an app to dim the screen even lower than normal settings allow, therefore avoiding disturbing my partner.

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I don't have a kindle, but have used one a little and for reading they are far superior to a tablet.

Since she already has both devices, unless either one can't do what she wants, I'd look at something else completely. If one or the other is failing in some way, just replace that one, I wouldn't go for a combined device. A jack of all trades rather than a master of one, not good in my opinion.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I guess my question really comes down to are the latest tablets with high DPI screens an improvement for reading these days, but from what I gather the kindles are still easier on the eye generally.

I was thinking of getting her the mini retina but for the price I could get a paperwhite and Nexus 7 2 I suppose, I was angling toward the mini though as the screen is larger whilst still being lightweight and as it's her primary computer it might have been a good choice.

I guess the other option is that she doesn't have to have an upgraded Kindle and can live with her original.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

The other thing to consider is whether her current 'solutions' actually need upgrading at all - does she complain that the kindle doesn't have a light or that her current tablet is slow? If not then maybe think of another present / presents.

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

We're going to need to get some scientists examining the difference between our eyes then.

I've read on my phone and tablet and each time I've had the equivalent of staring at a light bulb too long.

I use the dimmest legible setting with the background set to black; if I use white background the effect is even more severe - the burn in just looks like a big rectangle... instead of page shaped lines.

Edit: I get this after maybe 30 minutes of reading? Now, with the kindle, I've read for the whole flight to Cuba from the UK, finishing two books and I can't report anything other than a difficulty to re-enter the physical realm and stop thinking about the Star Maker.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

She uses the kindle at night and has mentioned it might be better with a light and the current tablet is slow and needs continual recharging, she loves them both though and is quite happy with them, I was thinking of killing two birds with one stone so to speak as she'd never be in a position to replace them herself.

It might be the wrong choice I suppose and having bought her these things in the first place, it probably lacks originality.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

My m8 has an iPad air and I have the latest kindle reader having used both, the reader is better for books by leaps and bounds.

Reading on an iPad eventually just tires your eyes and arms the thing gets heavy after a while.

I would not combine the 2 personally.

11. Ganiy

Ganiy What's a Dremel?

I vote for a tablet. Nexus 7 is a really good device. As I understood, the recipient has already had kindle. Tablet will give much more options.

12. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

I've got the new Nexus 7, its brilliant. Screen is razor sharp.

13. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Having both devices is the way to go. The amount of times i've forgotten my kindle and used my phone or tablet instead. As much as Amazon may be *******s for ruining the highstreet book store and skipping tax, they certainly know how to make a convenient cross device platform in their Kindle moniker. I've not been pissed off with it once yet in 2 years, so it must be working.

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I have both (iPad Mini, Kindle Paperwhite). Reading on a tablet is okay, but far inferior to reading on an e-ink screen - I can read for hours on a Kindle, and max out at around half an hour on a tablet due to the screen technologies.

However, as they already have a Kindle, a better tablet may be the solution simply because that old Kindle will do just as good a job as a new one (well, Paperwhite illumination may be different, but not worth the upgrade cost). Just don't expect the tablet to actually act as a replacement.

15. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I actually disagree. I went from a 2nd gen Kindle to a paperwhite as I do alot of reading at night. The back lighting is worth every penny above and beyond the Kindle touch. Keep the light level to a mid way and put the kindle in airplane mode an mine easily lasts 3 weeks of heavy use. (3+hours a night, every night).

I love my kindle.

16. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I've spent countless hours (I presume in the region of many thousand hours, judging by the latest stats and extrapolating back) reading on my N95 (3" screen of low quality and 320x240 resolution), Galaxy S2 (4.3" screen) and now my Galaxy S4 (5" screen) over the past year or five.

I also acquired a Nook E-ink tablet, and have a 10" Xperia Tablet Z.

The Nook is obviously E-ink, the Tablet Z is normal LCD, and the Galaxy S4 is AMOLED.

Frankly, I prefer the S4 to the Nook (and Xperia Tablet) for a few reasons. Firstly I'm so used to the small size it feels handy and natural now. Secondly I don't have much of a problem with glare or retention - the AMOLED screen on the S4 (and the previous S2) has an infinite contrast ratio, so I often stick it on night mode wherein minimal grey text is basically the only glare. I can also dim my backlight to well below the standard, and on the other end of the spectrum the maximum brightness setting on an AMOLED screen is very daylight legible; making it readable in all lighting conditions without much issue.
    Thirdly, the app I use on my S4 allows for stat tracking, which is interesting. I like to know how much of my life has been spent reading - unfortunately I can't do that on the Nook (or haven't bothered learning how).
    Fourthly I have all my books on the S4 immediately, but it is a bit of a hassle getting them up on the Nook. Also, navigating between them just generally using the E-ink screen etc is painful. Trying to find a certain place in a book is slow and cumbersome. I don't do slow and cumbersome. (This is compared to the Galaxy S4)

As for the Xperia Tablet Z it was quite horrible to read on for me, I tried it out a few times and didn't really dig it. The main issue was that the big screen means you can get lots more text on a page, but then there is too much text so it isn't really much of an advantage. So basically there are no advantages over my S4 that I am bothered about, but all of the obvious disadvantages (cumbersome, not as portable, not as good contrast ratio, etc). For me, the ideal size is my 5" Galaxy S4 that I have with me at all times anyway.

In all honesty, if it wasn't for the stat tracking on the S4, I would probably use the Nook basically in the interests of my visual health. As far as I've heard, E-ink has got to be better for your eyes than looking at a screen, regardless of if its a fancy AMOLED Galaxy S4 or whatever.

17. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Interestingly, the reason Amazon chose to specialize in books back when it started was because the highstreet book store industry was woefully insufficient for their readers' needs.

Something in the region of millions of books were in print at the time, but the largest and best brick-and-mortar stores would stock at best less than a hundred thousand of them. It simply wasn't physically possible to do better. The internet was an ideal platform to allow people to access a far wider range of literature in a more convenient manner.

18. Ganiy

Ganiy What's a Dremel?

Hey, sandys, have you chosen renew both devices?

19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

No, I have decided to leave it alone, I'll think of something else.

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Late to the party, I know, but George is spot on.

I have a Kindle and had a Fire HD tablet - excellent quality and fantastic screen but far too restrictive for my liking.