1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Thinking of buying a 360 controller, but which one?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 25 Nov 2013.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hey,
    As above, I'm considering getting a 360 controller to use with the PC (since I think they're meant to be the best?) for games such as the LEGO games, and maybe some others (racing ones for example).

However there seem to be lots of different ones, so I was wondering if there are some known 'good' ones? Or ones to avoid?

Thanks

2. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Do you already have an xbox? If so, get a wireless receiver, they're a bit rare these days, but mines amazing.

3. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I would just get a bog standard wired xbox controller (or a wireless one with the matching usb wireless dongle).

They are the nuts and work out of the box with 99% of pad enabled games.

Ive been using them for a few years now with no problems.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

4. Williz

Williz Minimodder

XEOX, seriously buy one now. haha there's a wired and wireless variant. I bought two wireless ones and wouldn't get anything else, they have such a nice rubberized finish and can switch from xbox emu mode to direct input at the slide of a button which is handy. They charge over mini usb as well so no having to faff with batteries, I think I charged them once in the last month or so and they're still playing fine.

5. GeorgeStorm

I don't.

Do you mean the official Microsoft one?

Do you mean the speedlink xeox? It seems to be the same price as the official models so surely it would be safer to go for one of them?

One of the main things I wanted to know was whether I should buy an official model, or whether some of the cheaper 3rd party ones were just as good.

6. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I've got a wired one that I rarely use (spare for the 360 too though, right) and a wireless one plus a wireless dongle. Both are bloody excellent - well worth it :)

EDIT: Both are official Microsoft, as is the USB receiver

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I has an official wireless one and it worked flawlessly. I'd recommend it unless it's either too expensive or lacking added functionality.

8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

my bog standard wired 360 pad is the one I use the most (and I'm 1337 pad gamer - due to lazyness and desire to not sit upright properly with mouse and keyboard). I bought one of those expensive razer ones thinking it would trump it, but I no likey it, gave it to my housemate ages ago.

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Another +1 for the official xbox wired controller - just plug and play and it's the best controller in terms of feel in my opinion. I use it regularly for non-fps games (Just Cause 2, Saints Row IV and the Batman games are best with a controller imo)

10. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

Don't buy the cheapie madcatz wired controller, I make do with that on the PC but it sucks.

11. qualalol

qualalol What's a Dremel?

I have both wired and wireless PC Xbox controllers:

Wired: fairly standard, plug in and go, no complicated stuff to watch out for.

Wireless: make sure you specifically by the XBox 360 Wireless PC controller -- I accidentally bought the non-pc wireless controller (I knew about both versions, but somehow picked the wrong one when I decided to order...)-- it's the same controller but comes without the wireless receiver which the pc version comes with (you can buy the receiver separately though, albeit unpackaged/only inofficially available, and slightly more expensive than buying in one package).

I've not actually had much of a chance to use the wireless one since buying, however I have bought the play and charge kit, which is a rechargeable battery + a cable which you can plug in the back to recharge the battery (also usable when playing). I've never actually tested the default non-rechargeable batteries so can't say how long they last, but as mentioned haven't tested the rechargeable one much either.

Overall the wired will be much cheaper and less hassle though.

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I bought my wireless receiver from game about six or seven years ago - I'm not sure they did it bundled with the controller back then...!

It's still going strong though - if you hate wires, track one down! Amazon is probably your friend...

13. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I've got two wired 360 controllers. Can't fault them apart from the fact that the sheer amount of cable, while potentially useful, is generally a nuisance. I don't use them enough to justify the extra (I think it's extra) for the wireless versions, but kinda wish I had.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Standard wired official controller you can pick them up cheap in second hand stores (£5-£10) not alot of point in spending more on others.

15. GeorgeStorm

Thanks, I think I'll just go for a wired official one, but I'll do a bit of googling about the wireless models.

The only reason I asked about 3rd pary controllers was because they are cheaper, I wasn't planning on buying a more expensive 3rd party controller.

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

We have a wired 360 controller and a wireless one (both official Microsoft) and they're the best pads you can buy to be honest. I personally prefer the wireless one as it is one less thing to trip over, but it is more expensive and offers no functionality or performance benefit beyond the lack of cable.

17. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Expensive 3rd party ones don't make you l33t unfortunately, official ones are the ones to get.

18. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I'm with pretty much everyone else. Get an official controller. Got the wired one myself and it works perfectly.

19. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

I use a wired Afterglow Xbox 360 controller. Clear case with green LEDs that thankfully can be switched off. It was £15 from ASDA and it's one of the nicest controllers I have ever used. I like it more than the official Microsoft controller.

20. Dead Pixel

Dead Pixel What's a Dremel?

+1 For the official wired 360 controller. I've had one a few years now and never had any problem with it. It's very comfortable to hold.

I wonder would there be much difference in latency between the wired and wireless controllers?