Education Design work presentation

Discussion in 'General' started by Archtronics, 22 Sep 2008.

1. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Im currently in my last year a 6th form studying design technology anyway Im rather hoping to use my A3 folder as part of my univirsty application as my teacher says it will help me anyway Id like to make the pages looks a lot more proffesional atm they have all the information just put on there, is there any guides or templates I can copy or use?

Thanks

2. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

I did exactly this 2 yrs ago. We used A3 plastic wallet flip folders (can't find an example online - It's like a paper file but has plastic wallets already glued in) to hold everything in one neat clear to see thing.

I used a mixture between drawings / written annotations / typed data with pictures / CAD drawings over about 30 pages I think. Large blocks of text are a no no. Put a big colour picture of your completed product on the front page with you name / project title. For the marking they are purely looking at content, but they'll normally just skim it so make it very clear each bit that scores the mark; the rest is just for show.

Good luck!

edit: something like this

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you want a high-end presentation, spend on good white thick paper in side the folder.
    You can do pretty professional stuff with Word 2007. PM me if you want a sample of layout that I did for a book of some sort that I made.

4. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

At the moment I am doing my GCSE design coursework, it is exactly the same principle. I write/arrange photos in illustrator and print off A3 sheets and put them into A3 clear wallets (such as the ones profqwerty was talking about) along with free hand sketches and cad drawings
    I hope this helps.
    dave

5. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

At this level I wouldn't waste the money on good paper, its going to be in an A3 plastic folder anyway.

I did ask my mum (who is a DT teacher) and she said it should have a consistent style, clean, uncluttered, no large sections of text, dont over use colour, have samples everything you can do.

6. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

First point, its a portfolio, not a presentation.

Secondly i would include everything relevant from sketches, rendering, and examples of models you've done. If you want more help i can recommend a forum which deals specifically with the foibles of product design which can help you with building your portfolio, www.core77.com and click on discussions. If you need something a bit closer to home, www.productdesignforums.com is also fantastic. oh and not forgetting the quintessential portfolio site from pd to architecture to id, www.coroflot.com

7. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Oh if you are moving towards more graphics and interactive media based http://cpluv.com/ computer love is the place to go to, its where i regularly weep at the beauty of peoples work.

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

take a look at things like housing magazines, the high end posh stuff, use that as a model for how it might look on paper.

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Have a look over on carbonmade at the portfolios section, then by subject such as 'product design'

A good example is this one, use the thumb nails to see how it all goes.

Tags: