1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News TNMOC announces Women in Computing project

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 May 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Why do we need more women in computing? As long as there is nothing preventing women from entering the field and succeeding as well as any man might do then this just sounds like someone wanting to tick off the equal numbers box on their politically correct check list.

I see the same thing being pushed in engineering publications and I always think the same thing.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Because there is a whole bunch of stuff preventing women from entering the field and succeeding as well as any man might do. If 46% of the overall workforce is female, then statistically speaking you'd expect around the same percentage of women to appear in any given industry - including technology. We don't, though: the overall workforce is 46% female, but IT and telecoms is only 17% female and dropping. That's a problem: an industry dominated by one gender will naturally focus on that gender over others. That's how we end up with booth babes, products "for women" that are usually nothing more than the bloke's version spray-painted pink, and a complete failure to properly address half the market.

This Pikiwedia article is a good place to start, if you want to learn about the issue.

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Don't even get me started on booth babes. I should be able to read tech websites (yourselves not included) and car websites in the office without looking like a chauvinist pig, or worse, a PERVERT!

Last edited: 8 May 2014