1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Trivial things that annoy you

Discussion in 'General' started by legoman, 10 Jul 2015.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Stolen from another forum but hey, kind of thing im on about

Staircases wide enough for people to go up and down but someone always blocks you usually when your carrying something.

People who "soldier on" at work with a cold passing it on to every other person in the office then smugly saying they had it worse.

Office bog roll holders, the performations break off always really far up the unit so you have to faff about digging around to try an get the loo roll back out.

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Those are some solid pet peeves, can definitely identify with them.

From me here are a few:

People who don't give you a little thank you or gesture of acknowledgement when you make way for them. This just grinds my gears for some reason. Sure maybe I appreciate it more now when somebody does thank me, but it's really nice to have that little exchange, makes things more personal IMO. To add to that, I've noticed it's mostly older people who don't acknowledge things. Is this because they're fed up with being polite after so many years when in actually it doesn't do anything maybe?

People who walk obnoxiously slow in groups for no reason. They just always get in the way.

People who position shopping trollies sideways in front of items at the supermarket. This is just plain annoying, it's so much easier to just place the thing next to you instead. The aisles are wide enough, why block access to all the mushrooms whilst you spend years deciding what kind of lettuce to buy?

Roadworks where nobody is working on the road.

3. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Those fruit juice cartons where the plastic cap/spout is stuck on top of the foil seal which makes trying to open a new carton feel more like picking a lock.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

People walking down the pavement with their heads buried in their phone and expect me to move out of their way because they are doing something oh so important. I am in design stage of a suit covered in 6 inch nails.

Milk cartons with that plastic seal under the cap which you need to pull and so unroll the seal. They invariable break.

Packets marked tear here when I actually need a chain saw to open.

5. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I commute by bike to work. There's a trail that's usually pretty busy between 5 and 7PM. There's usually some fat moron waddling in the exact middle of the trail. I don't have a bell, but whistle pretty loud and that usually gets people to move the heck out of the way. But often the slowest, fattest people are the ones who scream, "slow down" after I whistle at them for 100m then pass them on the right (which in the U.S. is the wrong side to pass.)

People should stay to the right of the trail (since this is the side of the road we drive on) and use the middle for passing. The trail is generally wide enough for three people to comfortably share. It means that if you want to walk two abreast, fine. But if you see anyone coming in the opposing direction you should fall into single file in case anyone wants to pass (from either direction). It's common courtesy. It's a shared space, and that's a fairly simple rule that all people (walking, running, biking, roller blading) can follow to give the same result.

Yes, this means that you and your mass of friends can't take up 66-75% of the width of the trail and then act indignant when people scream at you as they pass.

Also, I'm also annoyed by people who hang the TP roll the wrong way around.

6. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Capacitive touch screens, touchpads.

SMS speak.

Pedestrians/drivers/cyclists who are oblivious to others around them.

People who take ages to get to the point then talking, especially if its a phonecall.

7. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

8. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

People who drink alcohol next to me on aeroplanes.

When someone leaves the butter on the kitchen surface after they finish making their food.

If someone eats food in my room and leaves crumbs on my bed.

9. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Loose paving slabs that rock when you stand on them and splosh dirty water over your favourite pumps in wet weather.

10. iancowell

iancowell Minimodder

What really grinds my gears is.......

people driving and using their phone but never getting caught.

People who park completely on the path just coz they can't be bothered to walk 10 meters to the nearest on road space

Drunk people waking me up as they pass my house at 3am

My boss

11. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

The Murdoch press & media.

12. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Anime but more specifically it's annoying fans.

13. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

people who walk REALLY slowly in the high street and stop for NO reason at all

the internet using Autism as an insult against trolls

Guilt tripping Charity adverts on the TV or in the High street

how people like Kaywe West are more famous / popular than people like Chris Hadfield

14. Strudul

Strudul ~

I have so many pedestrian ones...

- People in groups who walk in a line across the pavement (and don't move out of the way)
    - People who walk really slow
    - People who speed up to get past you then walk really slow
    - People who keep changing speed
    - People who stop for no reason
    - People who can't walk in a straight line and make it impossible to get past
    - People who walk with so much sass that they take up the whole pavement
    - People in groups that take up all the space at a crossing and then don't cross when they can
    - People who try give me flyers
    - People in cars that see me crossing the road safely ahead, then proceed to speed up and beep at me
    - People I don't know who walk at the same speed as me causing us to awkwardly walk together
    - People who stand in doorways
    - People who don't move to the side on stairs

15. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Something else that annoys me is other people's disorganised Windows desktops. Seeing icons, files and folders just pebble dashed randomly across the screen actually irritates me, I can't relax until I've tidied it up.

16. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

People who dont move over to the left on the motorway/duel carridgeways ... oh man. Apparently they fine people for this these days ....

17. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

When I was in the UK I couldn't figure out how to not run into people for the first week. There's a very subtle difference to the way people pass one another between the US and UK.

But I finally figured it out. In the US you just default to passing on the right. If two people are going to run into each other, they just move the right a little bit and pass. It's unspoken and default. But in the UK there was no consistency. Sometimes people would move the left, or the right, or whatever way they wanted. Then I noticed that people will look where they are going to walk in a really distinct (if not deliberate way), and I realized that I wasn't doing that. So then I started purposefully looking at the spot on the ground I was going to walk toward and people would move out of the way.

So, there's a weird, very subtle cultural difference I didn't know about until I was in the UK.

18. iancowell

iancowell Minimodder

whos chris hadfield??

19. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Canadian Astronaut...

Probably most well known for doing this -