1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Whats good for me... SLI Ready or Crossfire Ready

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mushi_999, 26 Oct 2008.

1. mushi_999

mushi_999 Minimodder

I have a computer right now but it's getting slower and slower as i add stuff. I am running 4 screens at the moment and it can just barely handle it.
    My goal is to run 6 screens at the same time.

I am looking at getting a new mother board. One of those with 3 pci express slots.
    I was looking at some but i dont understand the difference between crossfire and sli
    To get 6 screens running at the same time what kinda motherboard would i be better off getting.

I'm currently looking at these 2, ill be using 3 geforce 8600gts video cards

SLI
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3871479&CatId=2547

Crossfire
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3568921&CatId=2050

advice?

2. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

if your going to use the 8600's then it will have to be a sli board as crossfire is ati only

3. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

With SLI, you can only use 1 monitor i believe for the 2 cards combined... You can plug 3 cards in as long as they all have same drivers, and run all 3 seperate so you could have 6 monitors though i believe

4. CollinstheClown

CollinstheClown Hi

You don't need SLi or Crossfire, they are just to combine the power of multiple cards to act as one.

SLi is nVidia
    CrossFrie is AMD/ATI

Your looking for a board with 3 or more PCI Express slots and cards to match them, no linking required.

-CollinstheClown

Tags: