1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 480 curiosities

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by .//TuNdRa, 23 Mar 2011.

1. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I've been giving this a good hard-think, but I can't decide:

Is it worth going for a GTX 480, even though it's a hot-running sod, and enjoying the performance, or saving £60 odd extra to get a GTX 570 instead and enjoying the fact it's not going to be dripping molten heatsink?

I know that the 480 will show as just that little bit faster in graphics tests, but is that enough to warrant such a fireball?

Or should I just be cheap and scour ebay for Graphics-cards I can bake back to life?

2. trig

trig god's little mistake

well, my stance is this...the gtx 480 was a broken gpu that nvidia pushed to market bexause they needed something dx11 out there...

the cards run neck and neck performance-wise in bt's tests, with the 570 pulling out more wins than the 480. the 480 runs hotter, takes more juice, makes more noise, and here in the states generally costs more...sometimes significantly more.

yeah, marine has been pimping a gigabyte version that is apparently cheap for a gtx 480, and it keeps the card cooler and quiter...doesn't change the power it takes, and the heat is dumped directly into the case...but maybe that's ok with you. wouldn't be for me...

in this scenario...570...bang for buck scenario? gtx 560 or 6950 2 gb...

3. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

I have a gtx480 on water and its good and i was under the impression that it out done the 570 in most benchmarks...? Its cheap for the performance your getting. £200 now on scan i think. After market cooler and you have yourself a very good card.

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Nah, the 570 performance wise is basically the same thing.

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I have two GTX480 in sli and tbh it is no more noisy than my 275 and dont run much hotter.
    The reviews was done with the fans running at the max so they would be noisy and the gpus was running benchmarks so not a real world use.
    I have never had a problem with them and at £200 are a bargain.

6. trig

just curious, where did you read that the fans were on maximum? afaik they were on auto, at least, according to the bt review...and the benchmarks? are you referring to the game benchmarks? or heaven and all that? game benchmarks do give a real world use idea...

also out of curiousity, what does a 570 run there?

what gave you that impression? the bt review is pretty clear...

Last edited: 23 Mar 2011
  7. .//TuNdRa

570's set people back approx. £260-odd off Scan, moreso elsewhere, whereas GTX 480's have fallen to the £200 mark, so it -is- a cheaper buy, i'm just asking if it's not worth forking over the extra Sixty Quid.

Also: Tempting as ATI might be, I dislike the Catalyst Control Centre, so It's going to wind up as some generation of nvidia card to replace my aging GTS 250.

8. derpooch

derpooch What's a Dremel?

If you have a case with decent cooling and a nice power supply, then the 480 is a good choice, if heat and noise will be a problem, the 570 is better.

9. trig

wow...that seems...huge...

crazy how things are so different over here. in that case, hard to argue the 570. guess it comes down to how comfortable you feel putting that beast in your case...at that rez, i'd still go with the 560...i prefer cooler and what not to fps over what my eye can see in most games. but again, research the games you play and make the decision.

10. will_123

I looked at the benchmarks and at 1,680 x 1,050 gtx 480 wins nearly every time and with just cause 2 the gtx 480 mops up. At higher resolutions the 570 seems to beat it with most games though.

What size of monitor do you have? I had my fan at 100% when i had air cooling with it and the only time it got to hot for me was when i ran it in furmark it would push 75 deg. for playing games it seemed to sit just below 60 deg. Only people with poor airflow should have experienced really bad heat issues.

11. .//TuNdRa

See, this is why it's become such a difficult question, the 480 would kick out enough power to shame my little GTS 250 all the way back to it's 9800GTX+ heritage, whilst the 570 would still run as painfully fast without putting as much stress on that Builder Series 600W PSU that'll turn up tomorrow.

Anyway, the question is pretty much this now: 480, or 570 for 60-70 quid extra? (Being as no-one seemed to mind my other option of getting a broked 295 or similar off Ebay and cooking the thing back to life

EDIT: Ninja'd in my own thread. Schweet.

Anyway: I run around on a little 21.5" BenQ 1080P screen, run through DVI for HDCP and other fun little extras.

12. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Who has a 480 or 570 to game at 1680x1050? Thats a kiddy resolution.

13. will_123

If you have it i would shell that extra £70 think it would be worth it in the long run. If you ever consider SLI in the future then you wont need some mini power plant to do so which you do with gtx 480! Plus 21.5 inch isnt that small and like the BT review says 570 performs slightly better than 480 at those resolutions. If you can throw that extra cash in there if not then you wont be doing that much wrong mate.

14. will_123

Easy tiger i was just stating the facts.

15. .//TuNdRa

So the general consensus is to get another £60 and go 570? Or are people still undecided? As is this is currently theoretical. A summer Job will generate more than enough money to afford a 570 though.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I would strongly advise against a 480 GTX - I used to own one. People are right though, I never found it that loud at idle. However, it is hot. Very hot. Too hot to touch even at idle with a side fan blowing hot air over it constantly. It heats up the whole rest of your system. Then there is the power draw which is huge. The huge power draw made my PSU heat up too! This made my fans run faster as they were temp controlled. In the end the heat and the power draw and the noise just got to me and I sold it. Looking at benchies and thinking its good value for money is one thing. Living with it on a day to day basis is quite another.

17. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Remember if you get a decent 560, it will overclock to a 570s performance. Thus for £190-200, you will get 480 performance at lower temps, power draw and noise.

18. .//TuNdRa

Perhaps. But £271 will get you an EVGA Factory OC'd 570, so it would be close to 580 performance for sub £300. Still. I suppose it depends on how cool it is, considering EVGA opted to use the 480's heatpipe cooler, rather than a Vapour-Chamber.

19. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Agreed, why not go for a 560 and overclock it? You'll save yourself the money then but still get similar performance.

20. .//TuNdRa

Tempting, but I don't like the thought of overclocking GPU's. Difficult to explain why, might be because I've had many a GPU refuse even a 10mhz OC and crash horribly.