1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox 360 and HD-DVD cheaper than PS3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 17 May 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Isn't the 360 due for a price drop? If that happens, then Wii first, 360 after. PS3 not till its cheaper then a SNES

3. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

Wii will be 150-200 at launch, 360 core will be about 150 by this point too, or 220 for a premium

PS3 will be 425 :duh:

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Personally, I won't be using *any* console to watch movies - the xbox360 is too loud to consider it as a movie player.

5. Arena_08

Arena_08 What's a Dremel?

Why are they trying to force this down our throats? We've only just finished converting our videos to dvd, and now pushing it further?!
    Does any movie company REALLY need 50gig for its movie? I know it'll be in HD and all, but when i see movie's that are in HD for download on torrent sites etc, they arent 50gig, they're nowhere near it, 2 - 3gig maybe.
    Maybe they should work on better compression technology.

Just to say, i will be getting a 360, and i will have a HDTV, but ive no interest in a HD-DVD player or a Blu-ray drive.

Give me a good reason and mybe i will, but there isnt one, so i wont.

6. riggs

riggs ^_^

As I've said before, I'm in the UK, where there's absolutely no point in investing in HD at the moment because a) the prices are stupid, and b) there's not much HD content around.
    Plus, I think it's daft buying into either HD-DVD or BluRay until the war is over and one of them becomes standard.

7. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

considering HD-DVD movies are also cheaper, HD-DVD for sure.

I think anyone who jumps on the HD Optical Disk bandwagon with a lot of money is a fool. With x360 at least you can choose HD-DVD or blu-ray.. microsoft has claimed that they can make a blu-ray attachment if that format wins the battle.

If its only about $100 USD for the HD-DVD attachment.. thats not so much money that I would hate myself if HD-DVD ended belly up...

I really think the logical consumer choice is HD-DVD at this point.. and becaue that and many other reasons.. x360.

That is just my opinion though.

8. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

If I had the money I would have both. Unfortuantly I dont have the money and I am perfectly happy with my PC gaming

9. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

THe market is saturated with DVD players, what better time then now to introduce a new format and start the sales trend all over again?

10. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

That and HD has over twice the resolution of DVDs, everytime your source media has lower resolution than the TV your watching it on. It's time to for a higher resolution source media to be released. Happened to VHS, happening to DVD and will even happen to HD. Watch one day when our current super expensive 1080p TV's are replaced buy newer Q resolution Super HD tv's you will once again see a new even higher resolution Optical disk format to come into market.
    My guess is we will see one last generation of optical media being distributed within the next 10 years, reason being films shot on conventional 35mm have an optimal digital resolution of over 2400p thats QUXGA resolution. Over twice the resolution of our current HD 1080p standard.
    I believe the Studios in an last attempt to cash in on their vast library of films will finally be forced to release 2400p Master Definition films to masses. Giving each person an almost exact duplicate of the studios digital master for their own viewing pleasure. This format will most likely appear on a holographic disk of 300 gigs and above.
    So in short these media leaps are inevitable, even if you truely wanted to own a collection of films that you will never need to replace you will have to wait 10 years for 2400p films to released, until then we have no choice but to play with the game. Or just watch your DVDs and be content.
    P.S Sorry about leading this off topic. Continue

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Kaz is pretty much right one this one. The media race will continue onward and upward, untill we hit holographic storage, which I imagine within 5-10 years of its widescale introduction will be able to store easily enough data to hold movies at the resolutions they're shot at. Once you get into the tens of thousands of pixels on a single line, I doubt few people will care about new media formats. Of course this is anathema to the media companies, and I'm sure they'll find a way to somehow beat this "killer technology", if they still exist then, but as Kaz says, you just have to accept what they're doing, or sit back, and enjoy the movies as they are, and ignore whats going on.

12. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

I can see it now.

"Own the lastest MDOD (Master Definition Optical Disk) and watch films they way they were shot." this ad is sponsored by Google Sony Global Media Conglomerate. LOL

13. zinger

zinger What's a Dremel?

I preordered my PS3 from gamestation for £20 on saturday, W00T! roll on 17/11 !

14. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

I ordered mine from some shady Chinese game store ages, most likely will be part of the Japanese first batch. Hoooyahhh.

15. zinger

zinger What's a Dremel?

The only import console i owned was a Jap N64. Top bit of kit and supurb as you could pull the tabs out and play US games. The PS3 will no doubt be hardware locked, at least that is what I have read, so no multi format gaming.

16. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

Heard PS3 will all be region free, due to the size of the disks. Don't know

17. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

I'm going to say Both on this one. If you added the Wii in there, I'd say all three. They all have a rather appealing look to me.

18. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

didnt we allready beat this price discussion to death in another thread

lol

by the time you add a wireless adaptor and the x-box live subscription

things pretty much even out

for now though, we have to wait and see what sony do

spinning wheels isnt "pushing the peanut forwards"

Tags: Add Tags