1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News "It's sad that kids learn about music via games"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

it's a pretty empty statement, how does anyone hear music for the first time? usually by accident or from their parents or peers.

people aren't born with their taste in music (probably) and who's to say they won't hear a track, discover its origin and go and buy albums, look up the band etc?

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Some people are able to play musical instruments, and some people are literally so naturally ungifted that the only thing they'll be able to manage is Guitar Hero. That's better than having nothing, IMO.

4. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

I don't see their problem here, if it's getting their music exposure to an audience that they otherwise would have missed that can only be a good thing for them.

Quit whining and enjoy the money!!

5. Mr Flibbles

Mr Flibbles I'm not part of the solution....

I agree, I found out about the Senses Fail from Guitar hero, did a bit of research, got one of their ablums and now listening to it regularly. I also find music from films - i got into Stoned Temple Pilots from watching the Crow,

nowadays the music industry are "losing money" through pirates, and music channels imo are playing the same thing over and over, The way I find out about music is from my peers, friends, watching films etc.

most bands these days will "sell out" (and I use that expression lightly), and try and get themselves out into the world by any means necessary, be that in games, which is a multi billion pound/dollar franchise. If you only used CD's and charts, your band might not be as big as you might think if you didnt use other forms of media.

but thats my opinion. :rock:

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Typo alert - it's John Bonham... not Bonahm. ;)

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

So what if I find about some bands through GH?

Much of my favourite bands are quite niche anyway.

8. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

I find most of my music through mountain biking films. Why does it matter? I agree with Fibbles, it doesn't matter where you hear about music from. To say it detracts from the whole music experience I also think is rubbish, all games, no matter what they genre are a lot easier than the real thing, whether it be shooting someone in an FPS, racing a car round a track or playing the latest tracks in Guitar Hero. It can only be a good thing for music in general as it will serve to encourage youngsters playing the games to try playing the real thing and creating their own music, once the boredom of only being able to play someone else's music kicks in.

9. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

I don't get it. What's so bad about it?
    Would it be better to hear the music from a friend who is playing the CD? How?
    Just cause I can play the song on guitar hero does not mean I respect the musician less. Guitar Hero - Metallica is awesome, and I still think Kirk is a bad ass guitarist.

+ I've found 3 or 4 new bands that I listen to through Guitar Hero, if anything it's just opening my eyes to more music.

10. k4p84

k4p84 What's a Dremel?

Kids might actually play rock band, like the idea of playing an instrument and actually go out buy one and learn it. Shock horror they could start to make there own music in time......

11. naokaji

naokaji whatever

So they should both just STFU and enjoy the money they make of it.

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I think musicians need to realise guitar hero is a game and not a guitar simulator.

For every musician who slates it there's one who loves it. Zack Wylde wanted one of his songs in the first rock band when he heard about it and made them put it in, Primus liked the idea so much they allowed them to use their original recording back in GH2 when all the others had to be done as covers.

13. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

I thought the drumming part of these games was actually fair representative of real drumming? There are some amazing videos on youtube where they have a real kit and a rockband/GHWT kit synced up and it's hit for hit. So isn't the part of Good times bad times on expert the same just with less drums to hit?

14. Mr Flibbles

Mr Flibbles I'm not part of the solution....

I do play the drums and haven't tried this game yet, I want to cause I cant' play on my kit all the time cause of the neighbours........dont people appreciate good music these days....lol

15. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

Once they sign up to do these games they kill any credibility they have to criticise them to be honest. I mean it's not like these folks aren't already rich, they could say no to the money if it was a legitimate matter of principle to them. But no, they'll take the money. So what are they saying, "This is bad, but we'll still be a part of it, because you can never have enough millions!!"?

If you ever find yourself stuck for a textbook example of what selling out is, I think this article pretty much nails it.

16. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i agree with them

the first time i heard CKY was watching the OLD landspeed / CKY2k vids and it gave me a real understanding of the band and what their lives where like and i could very much relate to things that where going on in my life at the time .

its what annoys me when people dance around when smells like teen spirit comes on the radio / bar and they go i love this song yet know nothing of the artist / band / lyrics

same can perhaps be said for Creep by radiohead (basically any great song that has crossed into more mainstream)

now to appease some of you here i'm going to mention that there is nothing wrong in just enjoying the song
    but GH seems to fail to perhaps portray the meaning of the Song accross to the audience but hey they would never have heard the song otherwise

right im sticking the Backyard Babies back on

17. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Nothing wrong with it, just another avenue to discover music, he makes it seem like that is the only way kids learn about music, which is bull. Get with the times JACK.

18. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

They don't have a leg to stand on really, I found lots of bands I now listen to regularly thanks to RB and GH and I don't respect the members any less by playing their music and the skill you need to play it. For example I listen to deep purple a lot and some of the drum solo's are out of this world, making me wonder how it is possible to hit drums that quick and change which drum to hit repeatedly, I know stuff like that would NEVER be on a GH or RB game because it would be far too hard to play with the lack of drum heads and lack of skill. Same for guitar solo's, when I play them it's very rare I actually think "Wow it's like playing the real thing" because I know it's not and it's no where near as hard as the real thing :)

19. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

He sounds like a self righteous douche bag.

20. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i think they're missing the point slightly to be honest, GH isnt a way to learn music, its a game based around music.

and if you hear a track on a film, from a friend or in a game, does that really matter? i think not

Tags: Add Tags