1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project- 'Think Green'

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by g1lgamesh, 20 Feb 2015.

1. g1lgamesh

g1lgamesh Minimodder

A client to my small company telephoned me and asked me to build a pc for him and asked to come around to his house and built it inside his case.

Little did he TELL me that his 'case' was a CHEAP old CHIPBOARD desk cabinet. To make matters worse he wanted me to do the BULK of the build and mod over at his house too:(

So bemused and a little stressed at his conditions I set about getting the job done.

This is what I had to work with- a cheap chipboard desk cabinet:(
    The hole shows where i cut the radiator fan mounts.

NOTE that chipboard is the worse to work with as it flakes and cracks if you drill it.

[​IMG]

To make matters worse, for the reason that customer was hovering over me I could not design the layout in 3D-STUDIO MAX as I normally do. Literally i had to make pen and paper drawings on the fly and much of this build was ADD-HOC!

So i made a quick paper drawing to outline the plan and the customer approved it

[​IMG]

With an extremely limited budget to work with i set about implimenting this plan.

There was not enough space for two loops nor the budget, however only one res was not enough so I planned the design for two res with one as a 'dummy' reservoir just for looks...

Anyone on with the project.. First up was to purchase the equipment and with emphasis on the amazing QUAD PASS MAYHEMS HAVOC radiator.

So shopping at the only stockist within the UK for the HAVOC radiator it made perfect sense to purchase other stuff from there. So off I went to www.overclockerstech.com/store

[​IMG]

and a few more items elsewhere....

Choosing a green and purple theme (apart from the wires which where green and black)

[​IMG]

and a few bits and bops from fleabay...

[​IMG]

along with some much-needed hole saws....

[​IMG]

Anyway ENOUGH with the preamble and let us get some modding done....

to be continued.............................

Last edited: 21 Feb 2015
  2. g1lgamesh

g1lgamesh Minimodder

Drilling part one

With the side of the cabinet and placing it two inches above the divider we measure a straight line.

Now with the mayhems line of radiators for EARLY adopters they included a free laser cut FAN GRILL.

So with this as a template we start to measure on where to cut...........

[​IMG]

Now the thing with chipboard is that it is CRAZY hard to work with as it cracks and flakes all over. If you exert too much pressure then its game over and not enough of the same it simply cracks and flakes :(

ARRRRRRG hole looks ugly as sin! Luckily this will be covered up by the fan grill radiator and fans...

[​IMG]

to be continued.....