1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powerbook disassembly

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 21 Oct 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Wow, so it's actually possible to take one of those things apart? Crazy stuff!! It's such an anticlimax to see that there's simply "normal" hardware inside there. I was expecting magical glass tubes filled with blue plasma and lots of shiny round bits everywhere.

3. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

It's so sad to think that this actually could qualify as modding for all the work you had to do...to replace a part that should be openly serviceable. Go apple. :p

That said, good job! Glad it works, and hope you don't keep it on your lap too much...

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

This x-ray's pretty cool:

[​IMG]

Shows you how basic the battery really is.

5. RTT

RTT #parp

You actually wouldn't believe just how abused that laptop is. The pictures do it no justice :D

6. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

FYI: the wall paper in the last shot is another from little-gamers.com :D

Last edited: 21 Oct 2005
  7. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

Since you already had the case apart, you should have painted it..... It would look sweet with the Bit-tech logo on there. :thumb:

8. xheadinthecloudsx

xheadinthecloudsx What's a Dremel?

Disassembly/repair guides for most powerbook/ibook models can be found on: http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide ... and they show you how to open it up without damaging the front of your optical drive.

9. r00t69

r00t69 What's a Dremel?

:D

10. Deep-Blue

Deep-Blue Part-time Overclocker

I feel your pain dude. My Powerbook 12" is starting to get a bit sluggish and occasionally doesn't boot either. Having said this, i think i still have the extended warrenty on this, so i may just have to give em a call.

Oh BTW, kudos on the great choice of wallpaper. Its funny how LG wallpaper and Macs just go hand in hand!

11. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

is that just 8 AA batts?

12. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I don't think so, they're too big (using the HDD as a scale). Just that they've soldered together a load of cylinders and stuck them in a square box, not very space efficient :confused:

13. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

That poor powerbook. Don't know how you can give so much abuse to something that expensive :(

14. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

no you can see the standard battery plugin the top right of the rectangular area that those tubes or cells cover. 8 cell battery i would imagine. At least ive heard of them being referred to as such becuase you can get an optional 12 cell battery with laptops as an option these days.

15. phantomxc

phantomxc What's a Dremel?

If you think it was hard to get that thing open, try taking out a logic board and putting a new one in.

16. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

That's what all battery packs are - powertools, laptops, cameras, etc. That's why it's such a swizz when they charge you loads for them - and you know what it's not even the cells that go it's the controller boards on the packs. :duh:

17. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

...As I've been saying for years. SDRam, now DDR and DDR2 (ecc or not); scsi, IDE, sata; usb; pci; agp; pci-x; pci express....

My (now gone - donated to a good cause) beige 300mhz g3 powermac took SDram and had a pci video card. I know a long time ago they used different hardware than most of the x86 world, but times have changed.

And yet - you still have people who say you shouldn't buy a mac because you can't upgrade them or can't find parts for them......

I bought new ram for my sisters clamshell (toilet seat cover) iBook in the electronics section of the grocery store!!

Yes - it's the same hardware.

Sorry - just realized this was a rant and didn't mean it to be. It's just that this is a conversation that I have had too many times over the last several years. I have counted to 10. I am calm now. I swear.

(It's the same hardware.)

18. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Yeah, but at least on my laptop they've accepted it, the battery pack looks like 2 long cylinders side by side, a sort of 8 shaped prism.

But yeah, batteries are a huge rip off :rolleyes:

19. joshua

joshua What's a Dremel?

Good to see you picked a non-Toshiba drive, crappy crappy drives. Not a lot of joy explaining to a user the benefits of loosing 5-7 years of email/files and to look at the positive benefits of the situation. To see the situation as a kind of data enema cleansing the bowels of their laptops.

I've had to do this today due to the failure of the same exact model drive you had, and replaced 20 over the last year. luckly toshiba's and hp's only have 2 screws holding drives in, makes replacing far easier.

20. BurntKona

BurntKona What's a Dremel?

Nice work disassembling. Got to do the same myself with an Acer Aspire 1500. I guess it isn't only Apple that doesn't believe in making things easy for the techy user to repair.

And it was a Toshiba drive that went Kaputt. 17 months old. At least it hinted at impending doom and back-ups were up to date.

Tags: Add Tags