1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Folder, OKish so far but need some help

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by AndyD, 17 Apr 2011.

1. AndyD

AndyD What's a Dremel?

Just build a new SandyBridge Rig so hav decided to use my existing rig to run 24/7 folding. I have the following set up
    Q6600 @3.2Ghz
    GTX8800 @ standard clock
    FAH6.34 win32 SMP for (CPU Client)
    FAH client 7.1.24 windows-2008 64 bit (GPU)
    Win32 GPU systray 641 client (GPU)

I have read on the Stanford site and here in the forum but first set up can be quite confusing, so here's my questions

Can I run 2 GPU clients? Using FAH control and running 7.1.24 client (I think) I received a failed message after 100% complete, approx 10 hours of folding:(

The CPU client runs in a CMD type window shows my folding name but does not allow me to enter my pass key anywhere is this correct, or do I need to re-install and start again

I don't seem to have a folder created under folding>apps etc to be able to point FahMon to. Does this get created later?

the CPU is not fully loaded. Typical loads are 10% to 70% they fluctuate a lot and core 4 is always the mostly lightly loaded. Can I force a higher load as temps are OK with max reached after 12 hours folding of 69 Deg C

Cheers for your help

2. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

First off, welcome to the team :)

It's late, so my brain isn't totally in geat, but as you only have a single graphics card you should only be running one GPU client, not two. Its your choice whether you use the console or GUI client, the later is less user friendly but more configurable (important if you have a complex system with multiple CPUs and GPUs).

It sounds like you never ran the config mode for the client. Shutdown the client (hit 'Control' and 'C'). Open a command prompt and browse to the directory you installed folding to. Then type in the following 'Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe -config' without the quotation marks. This will relaunch the client in config mode and will allow you to enter your passkey.

3. AndyD

AndyD What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your response James
    I am now using FAH control to run both GPU and CPU client. Seems like I have completed 13 WU (no idea what PPD this equates to), but still cannot get FAHMon to work or HFM.net. If anyone knows how to access my log files for both CPU and GPU then please point me in the right direction. I have followed the trail under User>folding>app Data etc but don't know which files to point to.

Also since running CPU client under FAH control, all 4 cores are 100% loaded:D, but temps have now gone up to 74Deg C...so I will keep an eye:eeek:
    Cheers again..

4. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Just point HFM.net at the folder where the work directory for the client lives ie

"C:\users\name\appdata\roaming\Folding@home-gpu" for win 7 in my case.

When adding a client to HFM you will see a test connection button on the setup window which can be used to confirm everything is ok on completion.

5. AndyD

AndyD What's a Dremel?

Thanks One_Box, that got me a little further. I can see the folder for GPU folding and the one for CPU folding. I have set these up, tested the connection, forced a refresh but the stats do not update. Both clients are running but HFM.net shows a row of zeros?? I'm still confused because this should be the easy bit:wallbash:

6. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Have you pointed HFM.NET to the folder that contains the FAHlog.txt folder, and not the 'Work' folder?

Does your FAHlog.txt get updated? Does it seem to make sense? You should have one for each client (in different folders of course!)

7. AndyD

AndyD What's a Dremel?

OK thanks for all the help. I have been using a pass key, so that's all OK.

How do I set up the SMP client? Right click in sys tray on the icon and I can configure which is where I can add passkey. There is also an advanced tab which allows for additional client parameters. Are these switches so using "-" plus the command will make the change? If so what do I need to enter to set this up correctly.

Running this client seems to really fluctuate load on each core of the CPU. under FAHControl they we all 100% now under smp 6.34, % loads vary dramatically from 10% to 40%

Also I am going to need an idiots guide to setting up HFM.net or FAHmon, I cannot find the FAHlog.txt file anywhere on the HDD???

8. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I'll be in the same directory as the actual .exe file for the client :)

And it sounds like you have the standard uniprocessor client if you have a system tray icon for the 6.34 client. I know the 7.1.24 beta client has one but 6.34 does not.

Make sure you definitely have the smp client, and then add the -smp switch (i think this is what's missing for you).

Easy enough, go to command prompt and type cd c:/[folder]/[folder]...[folder containing smp client]

Next type the file name for the smp client followed by -smp -configonly. Default is something ridiculously long and complicated so you could change it to fah6 (it's what i did :))

You'll now have the config bit of the client. Just do what it says basically, enter username and stuff. Then when it says change advanced settings type yes. leave most of them at default up until you get to additional client parameters, then whack in -smp. Hit enter a few more times, then it'll save your changes. Then just type the filename again, git enter and you're away :)

If you've already done all that, i apologize for sounding condescending lol if not, i hope it helps.

Edit: just read all that and it's not completely coherent, so i'm sorry for that too:hehe:

Edit edit: And as for HFM.net showing zeros, how long did you leave it running after setting it up? It takes a while as it has to wait for the clients to complete 3 full frames.

Edit again: If you're using the new beta client, I'm not sure that HFM can use it properly. fahlog.txt etc aren't in the directory using those names. That could be your problem.

Last edited: 22 Apr 2011
  9. AndyD

AndyD What's a Dremel?

noizdaemon666, no worries on thinking the advice was condescending, it wasn't. In fact the client now seems to be working infact HFM.net is also working, almost immediately. So I will keep running FAH control for the GPU as that seems to be working well
    thanks again......now I need to get back to folding,:clap:

10. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Glad you're up and running :) Now get some serious folding done :thumb:

11. AndyD

AndyD What's a Dremel?

All ok so far CPU folding is generating 7000ish ppd which I think is ok. Only issue now is GPU folding. i am not sure about the beta FAHcontrol. I can't see the log files and all PPD is unknown on the FAH control stats tab. I need to set up the GPU using the GPU client. So I will start another thread and ask for help....cheers