1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung tapes out first 14nm FinFET-based parts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Dec 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

Im hoping that since GlobalFoundries is involved in this AMD will be able to jump on FinFET and 14nm production before Intel realy gets its Tri-Gate in to production as this may give AMD the boost they need to put out low power or higher performance chips

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

"Sadly, a tape-out does not a product make" should be "Sadly, a tape-out does not make a product".

Anyways, getting the chips smaller, resulting in less powerdraw is all nice and dandy, and I hope that the industry can keep their set goal of Q1 2014 for those 14nm-parts.

Unfortunately the real power-hungry parts - aka the GPUs - are still manufactured in 28nm and won't see a shrink that soon, if we believe all the chatter.

intel - if all goes as planned - will start with their new plant in Arizona in Q3/Q4 2013. I don't think that AMD will be faster than this.

4. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

"lithographic processor"

process perhaps ?

5. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

Dafuq ?! Intel has been using "TriGate transistors" in its Ivy Bridge and will be using them in the upcoming Haswell and onwards.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, it shouldn't: I wrote what I meant and I meant what I wrote.
    That, on the other hand, was a mistake. Fixed, ta!

7. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Exactly. Intel is looking at 14nm roughly sometime in early 2014. Unless the other fabs manage some serious catch-up work, they are going to be looking at late 2014 in to 2015 before they manage that.

Other than NAND, for processor transistors most have not gotten below 28nm yet and I really doubt they are going to skip a full node. Most are looking at transitioning to 20nm sometime in 2013 (probably late 2013 or early 2014).

General cadence industry wide is about 2-2 1/2 years per processing node shrink, Intel just happens to be roughly 18-30 months ahead of most everyone else with lithographic size.

8. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

and unless somebody comes up with 80bn, thats how it's gonna stay

9. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

Well a smaller process size and trigate/finfet transistor architecture didn't really work out to be "all that" for Intel in the change from Sandybridge to Ivybridge. Only gave a 27% improvement in tdp from 98w for SB and 77w for IB at the same performance level not the quoted 50% improvement and that was not just due to the finfet design but also include a shrink to 22nm.
    IB's thermals are poor...I don't think Intel have either their 22nm process or trigate design right yet.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

14nm is at least a year away from intel more like 2 from anyone else.

Taped out does not mean its ready to go into full scale production, intel already has a working 14nm chip, will take at least 2 years from tapes out to full scale.

AMD can't just switch from tmsc they have long term contracts.

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Ah OK. Not a native speaker so it looked awkward to me :p

12. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

You are quite right that it does look weird, so it is good that you can spot things like that, but it is actually a semi-commonly used phrase.It's just bad luck on your part this time.

13. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

the first one, he was being Yoda ;)