1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Penryn, Nehalem and the Future

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 29 Mar 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Sweeeeet. I'm guessing a new socket for Penryn right? Thats good news too :)

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nope, I think I said in the article current mobos might support it with a BIOS update depending on the chipset capabilites.

Nehalem will indisputably be a new socket.

4. Mother-Goose

Sorry bindi I could mixed up there, that makes alot more sense than what I just said.

It's nice to know that with a bios update my striker (when I get it) will be able to handle it, it makes sense from intel's stand point if they want to get it mainstream like the P4 was.

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Yea, heard that too that 775 will be the way to go for Penryn. Can't wait. :D

So we'll have the same situation as with graphics cards here? One releasing next-gen stuff half a year before the other? Interesting. Hopefully when Nehalem hits the market there'll be more programs/games making use of the extra cores.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's cool :) It took me a while to get everything right in it.

I've just added click for win's on the pictures to make them easier to read.

7. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Barcelona is really going to have to fly to compete with this. Intel seems to be running from strength to strength right now, and AMD hasn't demonstrated anything as yet that shows it has the legs to keep up.

8. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Either way, all this competition from Intel and AMD is good news for us. :)

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

12Mb cache? Woah.

Very informative article there Bit.

10. Mother-Goose

It is now that you wish that intel did the EVGA style step-up kinda thing dont you :)

11. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

the real question is where does this leave nvidia? one of its primary markets is northbridge chipsets.

As for the GPU on CPU idea; I don't think that'll fly very well. the turnover for graphics cores is almost 5x the rate as CPU's and personally I don't want to have to buy a new CPU for upgraded graphics. (example is that I had a dell dimension 4300 that started with an AGP Geforce 2 MX but is now running a 7600GS, however I never had to replace the P4 in it)

its all very good news however, and I hope they overclock as well as the current chips (do I hear 4GHz anyone??)

@gooser - too right mate....

Very good article, keep it up!

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

Nvidia makes chipsets, not just northbridges. Its IGP market is probably going to swell up quite fast once these roll out, unless it decides to offer 'better' IGP than the on-die solutions. For example, if you want an Intel CPU with the capability to play games, I'd suggest you'd want a discrete graphics card or a better integrated solution.

There's not so much of a problem on AMD's side, as the integrated graphics are a much higher quality.

I reckon that graphics on CPU core will either be optional (like with Fusion) and the CPUs with it included will be targetted towards businesses. I would at least hope that enthusiast CPUs are free of IGP as, like most people, I don't really want to pay for things I'm never really going to use.

Of course, if there are some GPGPU uses (like Folding), then it the graphics core can be used for more than just graphics. That will depend ultimately on Intel's strategy in GPGPU applications.

Take a look at Intel's 965-series chipsets for example. At the moment, Intel has P965, G965 and Q965. P965 has no graphics, G965 has more consumer orientated IGP and Q965 is a business focused IGP. If the IGP isn't going to be GPGPU capable, I reckon Intel might head down a similar model to the way the 965-series chipsets are broken down.

13. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

woah great article guys and alot of info crammed in lol
    i think that if amd dont come back with something good soon its gonna start to look bad for them
    judging by intels plans they seem to be going in the right direction! although i agree in some respects with the intergrated gpu cpu idea (but having one on a mini itx would be great!)

14. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I don't understand how they can be using PCI-E for communication on the motherboard for anything apart from addin cards (including internal ones like NICs).

15. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

I think AMD has lost their touch... Intel is continually getting farther and farther ahead of them, and every Quarter that goes by, means another step AMD has to climb to even want to compete with them...

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I wouldn't give up on AMD just yet. Absorbing ATI will have been quite a big deal, and will have taken much of their attention for a few months. They've got even more weight to them now though, and I suspect that while K8L might only match or almost-match Intels lines of products, Fusion will be something groundbreaking.

17. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Exciting stuff, any release date for the "new star of Zion"?

Other thoughts: My Pentium lll owns Conroe and it's widely obiese 4mb cache.

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well-written article Rich - gave me some excellent reading material during accounting class :)

Looks like an otherwise-bleak future got slightly brighter.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Cheers :D

20. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Jesus...

32 nanometer fabrication, on a high volume line. Thats the single most impressive piece of the article.

Where are they going to hit the difraction wall?
    How close to the surface can they (are they having to) maintain their mask template thingy with the required accuracy?
    What frequency / source are they even using?
    How long before they move to a synchotron source?

omg - seriously I cant get over it - 32 nm fab process....

Tags: Add Tags