1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Mini Monster (Wood)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by PabloFunky, 17 Jun 2011.

1. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

The last thing i need is a mini itx pc, also i really dont have the time to build one, anyway lets start one all the same.

Ive been able to do around 15 minutes at a time, so dont expect a fast build on this one.

1. Start with 1 off Tree.

2. Now cut down to this:
    [​IMG]

3. Lets trim a little thurther using this
    [​IMG]

4. better plane and reduce depth to 6mm i think will work for a mobo tray. A few passes through here should do the trick

[​IMG]

5. Right, better trim and then cut to size 195mm*200mm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Right, gonna have to drill and saw out for the cpu hole, can clean up later, so will look like a cnc cut anyway.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok thats it for a while, lets see how bored i get with it, hoping i wont cancel the project though, see if i get into my cba mode or not.

P.S, Waynio, ive put some WIP pics in for you :D, as i normally wouldnt bother, gonna increase time to do project, maybe itl take a few years ?

Till next update ?

Last edited: 17 Jun 2011
  2. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

Good start. It looks liek a pretty big workshop - is this your workplace? I like woodwork a lot - but have never used it for computers yet. I vote that you finish the project before you lose motivation. I want to see it completed, not cancelled. :)

Good luck!

3. PabloFunky

Yes indeed its at work, fairly big place yes.

Been thinking about doing it for a while, then not and so on.

Got some carving to do soon, not sure when though, im not a carver, but my workmate said hed guide me along a little, he is a carver.

Its Beech by the way, but likely to stain in Mahogany Dark?

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! you can't satin a solid piece of wood like that, it's got to stay natural.
    Other than that and the little out burst is out of the way ,it's off to a nice start, I'll be following this, I do like a good woody build.

5. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

yeah i love natural wood..... looks interesting so far.

6. PabloFunky

Raw then.

Well 90% laquer i think to protect, Dam i like the look of our Dark Mahogany, but now you wont let me, so will keep raw.

Its not usual for me to look forward to going to work, but now for some reason;) i do.

7. PabloFunky

should resemmble this, apart from it will look real and wood look different and so on,
    Not gonna mess about trying to do photo realistic renders, i know what im making, can see what it looks like when its done, if i dont like it, it can be scrapped.

350mm high by 160mm width
    Its gotta resemble Monster2, otherwise no point in me doing the build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. paz45

paz45 What's a Dremel?

Hmmmmmmmmm another project pete , you must be getting bored lol:D,
    keep updates comming , like to see this one finished.:thumb:

9. andybones

andybones What's a Dremel?

are you gonna fit a water sprinkler in case it sets on fire :hehe:
    Don't know how you get the time to build nowadays,i seem to be losing it.:(
    Good luck Pete ;)

Andy

10. PabloFunky

Its mini itx, probably get as hot as something very cold only.

I dont really get time, im doing this build in lunchtimes only, prob 15 mins at a time.

I thought you lost it years ago Andy?

I know your making something anyway, just waiting for you to post it. Its not up to me to tell everyone.

11. bulldogjeff

15 minutes at a time for modding!!:jawdrop:

I,ve actually done some calculations based on your design and how long I think it would take me to build it. I've then thrown in a few hours for any problems that might crop up and factored in testing time. This adds up to a total of 6 years and 43 days till the project gets finished working on it for 15 minutes a day.

Looks like it's gonna be a long build Pablo...lol

Kovoet likes this.
  12. PabloFunky

Nice calculations Jeff.

Dont forget, that first stage in log, was 15 minutes work, to do the mobo tray.

Then again theres no hurry, so 6 years, 10 years, thats fine . perhaps by then there be some better cheaper stuff to put in there ?

Will make a nice retirement present to myself.

13. bulldogjeff

I was going to put the usual" can't wait to see it finished" comment but I wasn't sure I'd still be around to see it...lol

14. PabloFunky

He He.

Hopefully can do a little more tomorrow, was thinking about cutting and prepping the piece for the pci i/o part.

Should be easy to make that bit from wood as opposed to folding from metal, can make from solid 20mm thick piece of wood.

That will be thick enough to carve out without worrying about wood splitting, for the metal io sheild.

15. bulldogjeff

I've got a couple off of old cases that I was saving. I'm sure one is MATX 3 slot one's full size the other is brand new off a TJ07. You're more than welcome to have one if it'll save you some time. If I remember rightly one is just the IO shield and ones a full back with the PSU slot in it. You're not a million miles away so I could always whizz one down to you if you want it.

Edit: Just pulled the out. One's a full back and the other would probably be ideal as it's just the IO shield. You can locate the PSU any where you wanted that way.

Got an MATX mobo tray as well if thats any good to you.

Double edit: It's got a flange round it so all you'd have to do is make the right size hole and Bingo...job done.

I want to see this build finish before I die...lol

Last edited: 19 Jun 2011
  16. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

mini-ITX + wood = I'm in! :thumb: :rock:

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: Doing it when you don't need it :clap::D:thumb: looking good Pablo :) nice bit of work for 15 minutes :).

18. PabloFunky

Cheers Jeff, will let you know, but looking forward to making a wooden one to tell the truth.

How old are you?....... i recon you may still be around to see it done.

Prob wont be up to voigts wooden case level, but im giving it a go so far.

Cheers Waynio and IcyAero for comments.

Ive still got a spare 10 pci bracket im saving for Monster3 (dam musnt give too much away).

Must put in my Will that any started pc projects have to be finished, otherwise no inheritance allowed.

19. Attila

Attila still thinking....

This is great, watching a tree turn into a case. :hehe: Good stuff and a nice piece for the mobo tray. :thumb:

20. PabloFunky

My supervisor, said to me afterwards... " Is that all you got out of that big piece of stock".

I was like "No, i can get some other bits aswell from it" (although im not sure what yet).
    I should of cut the piece in half, made the mobo tray, then still had some wood left at 40mm thickness, but hey why dont he get off my case(pun), So i made some more sawdust than normal.:D.

Thanks for watching, looks like im gonna have to do more on it.

The trees come from a sustainable forest, and all logged, in theorey i should be able to find roughly the actual tree it came from.

Should of started the log(pun) with the history of the tree :D.