1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony finally enters tablet market

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 26 Apr 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

S2 should be bezel-less between the screens; even with a thin bezel, it seems gimmicky and like it would be frustrating to use. Seriously, anyone with more technical prowess than I in this subject: Why is it so damn hard in 2011 to make thin-to-nonexistent bezels?

3. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

not convinced - sorry

4. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Looks good. How much handling before its completely covered with fingerprints?

5. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

The folding one is ugly as heck!
    But I really like Sony's design, so lets hope this one will be ditched!

6. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

The SR2 looks good. Like something to pop in your pocket with more grunt than a smartphone, but it'll cost a small fortune like that ultra portable pc they made a year or so back.

7. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

So out of curiosity (not Qqriocity mind you), since the playstation suite is going to be available on it, an andriod tab (I assume Honeycomb, or a future flavor of honeycomb), does that mean the playstation suite is going to be accessible on other andriod tabs? Either open or hack?

The S1 is interesting, but I need price and specs to know if I should be really interested, or just be happy/hope that I might be able to access the playstation suite on a different android tab.

8. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

What's the point in tablets again?

Playing games and watching movies seems to be it.

9. ObeyTheCreed

ObeyTheCreed What's a Dremel?

I agree, there doesn't really seem to be a point in tablets, if you want to watch a movie sure they are useful but other than that, everything done on a tablet can be done on a console and with a lot better graphics too.

10. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Just what I was thinking.

If it's slim and light enough to comfortably fit into a jacket pocket, I could see massive potential for that.

11. enikmaster

enikmaster What's a Dremel?

I like the S1's design. I don't like de S2. Just another two gadgets in the market...

12. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I don't think the whole bezel is the problem - just the bit of bezel between the two screens. Although that might encourage you to use it as a single screen and maybe that isn't the best way to use it...

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Certainly won't be picking one up for myself, but hurrah for clamshells! Being able to make a tablet half as wide and twice and thick when stored really helps portability.

Every day I start taking back my questions of just what purpose a tablet would have. Being away from my computer for four days but in constant wi-fi access revealed exactly how useful a mobile internet access device would be. Being able to fold one up and drop it in a pocket would be great. Folding iPad please. :p

14. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

Another tablet, personally I find them the most useless pieces of equipment around. They don't do anything really well. My girlfriend however uses it all the time and they sell like hotcakes. So the problem might just be me.

15. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I can see the market, as they are fantastic for browsing and movies. However, with smartphones being as popular as ever...a tablet isn't worth the buy. I'm sure that we can all survive without a huge screen for an hour or two...

16. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

So when I'm sitting in the airport, waiting for my flight to board, I'll be sure to whip out my PS3 to do some hardcore gaming. And yes, before the rest of the crowd jumps in I realize you can also play games and watch movies on a laptop. With the amount of traveling I do, it's been my experience that small portable devices are great for short trips, and laptops often end up being bulky and more than I care to lug around.

As has been said before, if you can't see the point of a tablet device, then you obviously don't have a need for one. Other people just might have a legitimate use for a tablet, and their needs shouldn't matter to you at all.

:thumb:

17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I've actually seen a family pull out a PS3 and ~19" TV for an hour long ferry ride. You'd be amazed by some people. I'm just hoping they were drive-on passengers and not walk-on!

What's kept me from getting a laptop is that it's not truly mobile. Not only is it still fairly heavy and bulky, but it also has to be setup to some degree. The actual use of a laptop is stationary as it requires sitting down to operate, with some exceptions. A smartphone/tablet on the other hand can be used on the go, and even if you choose to sit while using one you can stand up and go at any time.

18. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I am convinced by tablets.

However, I see no room for the S2. It looks impractical and bulky for what it is. The S1 is more mainstream and will no doubt appeal to Sony's fan base in some way. All my TVs are Sony's but the iPad2 ticks all my boxes very nicely so there is no room for an S1. The ability to play first-gen Playstation games really doesn't do it for me either.

19. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I've got no use for them as they are. Perhaps in 5 - 10 years when they are lighter and have some real grunt I'll want one. Until then they are just fluff.

20. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

What's this? A new pair of tablets from Sony, heavily dependent on the PlayStation Network? Released amidst one of the biggest data thefts ever, under Sony's watch, who were storing passwords and (one can only assume since they are "unsure") credit card details in plain text?

Yes, I think these will sell well.

Tags: Add Tags