1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Researchers make flexible circuit breakthrough

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 28 Nov 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

does this mean we will start to see rollup screens like the ones in the tv series earth final conflict?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The technology is already here. We're slowly working on making *everything* flexible and transparent: the displays, the circuits, even the battery. It hasn't got to the point where you can make a smartphone that can be folded like paper yet, but it's on the horizon. I wrote about it for Custom PC a few months back - amazing leaps from science fiction to commercial product.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

that's what I mean, will this mean more flexibility in real life products.

I haven't yet seen anything that actually uses a flexible screen, let alone a rollup one

5. Gareth Halfacree

How about a flexible eReader? Products are out there, but they're not mainstream yet. Give it a few years, it'll happen. Then we'll all get board of accidentally creasing our smartphones and somebody will come up with an 'innovative' design based around a firm, non-flexing substrate that prevents folding and creasing...

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

i heard Samsung had a breakthrough for flexible screens and are looking to bring products to market end of next year

7. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Yeah me too, I've read in several places that Samsung are going to bring out a smartphone with a foldable screen next year.

8. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

If something is bendy surely it becomes 'rounded' and apple already have a patent for that.

9. SimonStern

SimonStern Registered Lurker

Ha :thumb: