1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Is 2gb enough for 1080p?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 5 Dec 2015.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Hi guys. Recently my old nextdoor neighbour phoned me and said I could have back a PC I sold to him in 2010. The meat of it is basically an Asus M3A32 MVP Wifi Deluxe with a Phenom 2 940, Noctua cooler and 4gb ram.

I was initially going to use it for a server (I've ordered 8gb ram) but then some one said I could have a 1055T for free. I've already replaced the PSU for a brand new Cougar 620w unit and thought that maybe this rig could work as a half decent 1080p PC. I would like something that hooks into the TV for some gaming.

Any way I began searching around for a GPU and an Asus Mars 760 came up for £120. At that price I really couldn't say no.

So will the 2gb it has be enough for gaming at 1080p? has any one here encountered problems running such res with 2gb VRAM? or is it all scare mongering?

2. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

Hi i think the gpu will be fine but is the psu up to it

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Depends on game and the gpu in question. For some of the older high end gpus yes it's more than enough. I've played Witcher 3 with all settings maxed at 1080p on a pair of 2gb 680s.

Does depend on the game though. Mordor is meant to not be good I've yet to play that though.

Just cause 3 runs well

4. Vault-Tec

The PSU should be fine, given it has two 8 pin PCIE connectors and the card has two 8 pin..

760s weren't exactly known to be power guzzlers..

[​IMG]

Just found that on PCper, seems the PSU should be more than adequate.. Phew you had me worried then !

Cheers Rollo. TBH it's only really Fallout 4 I am bothered about, though I really must try and force myself into playing Witcher 3 as I paid good coin for it and have put in about an hour at best.

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Definitely depends what game you're playing. I'm currently gaming at 2560x1600 (30" monitor) and my 2GB 770 doesn't miss a beat. I also played more demanding (older) games like Crysis 3 and Metro at 1920x1200 and they were fine too.

Cast your mind back a few years to when state-of-the-art GPUs had less than one gig of vRAM, and they still managed to produce the goods on high res displays. :lol:

6. Deders

Deders Modder

There will be a few games you'll have to knock down a setting or 2. Watchdogs, GTAV, Arkham Knight The modern Wolfenstein games all spring to mind. Total war games since Rome II will automatically reduce their settings so you don't get quite as high detail. AA is usually the first to go but you can inject SMAA which doesn't have much of a Vram footprint.

If you can find a 4GB version of the 760 it will make a difference in these and more modern games being released, and should be playable at 1080p.

7. Vault-Tec

It's not a normal 760 dude it's a 760 Mars. So there are two 760 cores on it.

[​IMG]

They're quite rare.. It should be with me tomorrow :)

Any way I did some digging and it seems Guru3d did test 1080p and I'm well within limits :)

[​IMG]