1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Hi guys. help with problem appreciated

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marc.knuckle, 12 Feb 2017.

1. marc.knuckle

marc.knuckle What's a Dremel?

P8P67 Pro
    intel 2600k
    2 x 4GB RAM
    corsair PSU (i think 600w from memory)

for a while i have had intermittent issues where when starting it will display nothing on screen then issue 1 long and 3 short beeps.

i have looked up the beep codes and some say it is GPU problem and some RAM problem. i haven't got any spares for me to swap out or know anyone with the bits i would need. so i have tried to sort it by removing RAM and gpu etc and spraying with compressed air into the slots. i have also tried swapping for 1 stick of RAM, changing the sticks around etc.

always i eventually get it to post and then for months it is fine and then the issue eventually comes back.

yesterday for the first time it went off while i was using the PC and then that issue occurred.

i thought it could be heat related so used compressed air in all the vents, fans etc. i even reseated the CPU. after putting everything back as it was i.e. both RAM sticks etc it then came back on. i ran a 100% stress test and the temp for each core didnt get over 64 degrees.

any thoughts what could cause this and possible long term solution? do i need a new GPU or RAM?

cheers

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Given that you are not sure what the beep codes mean, you should try and source the original manual online and look them up there. That's going to narrow your debugging route a lot.

3. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

It's there online and I looked it up and said No VGA detected. The memory is one long beep follow by two short beeps then pause and repeated.

4. dinoscothern

dinoscothern Minimodder

5. marc.knuckle

cheers all. that is what i had found but there was at least 1 other bit of info i found suggesting the RAM.

so would that mean the GPU at fault? it has 1 6 pin cable connected to the PSU and i have checked this is firmly connected many times.

6. theshadow2001

Yeah looks like GPU. Try running a stress test on the GPU and see if you can make your system fall over. As a fix you could try a different pci-e slot or just use the i-gpu on your processor.

7. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

It'd be more helpful if you can borrow parts for troubleshooting but you stated that you don't have any or know anyone have some. It could be the gpu, might be the psu, but having spares can help enormously for you to navigate where the culprit is. By the way, what gpu do you have?

8. marc.knuckle

the gpu is the ati 5770 vapor-x

i have tried moving it round to different slots and in the past it had started working after doing so only to fail again the next time while in that different slot.

what could i use to stress it to it's max?

if i was to get another GPU. what could i go for? i dont use the PC for games myself (i used to but not any more). my kids play minecraft on there though. i wouldnt want to spend too much but equally wouldnt want to get a weedy one. strange though it is currently working.

9. theshadow2001

You could use Unigine Valley benchmark to stress the GPU

10. marc.knuckle

so i ran unigine with high setting, 1920x1080 and it came back as 25.5fps score 1067. min fps 14 and max 44.5. most importantly it didnt 'fall over'

anything else i can check?

cheers guys

11. theshadow2001

You could try running prime95 and unigine at the same time to load the power supply and check stability that way.

12. marc.knuckle

sorry for the delay.

i ran unigine with ultra settings while also running prime95 on blend.

it didnt cause the system any problems.

the results were - FPS = 20.1, Score = 843, min FPS = 11.9 and max FPS = 33.3

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

run a memory test.

14. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

The results are completely irrelevant if you're running a prime95 blend WHILST running unigine.