1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Reborn beginner attempting photography for web design

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Rhydian, 4 Oct 2014.

1. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

So I got myself a new Nikon d5300 with lens for just under £390 with the intentions of using it to help add some more interest for local businesses who need a new website.

What sort of lenses am I looking at for product shoots (motorbikes in particular ;)) and team portraits? or Even a lens that would help record some footage in case that becomes an option?

Also any good accessories I should be bundling in there?

Don't go too ambitious on me guys! I need stuff that I can carry within a single bag and wont need me to finance :p!

2. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

From what I've seen about, Although I'm on Canon I presume the same applies across the field so to speak - something like a 50mm prime, light tripod and an external flash should help with a lot of that type of work. Depending on how far you want to go, product shots wise maybe a large backdrop and a folding tent

3. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

I do like the 50s, just as I found with the 7Ds crop sensor it;s just a bit too close in. I think I may grab a 35 if they do one or something similar. Any opinions on wide angle lenses?

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

The Nikon 35/1.8 DX [small sensor only] lens seems to be well regarded.

DPreview write up

I managed to borrow on for an afternoon from my neighbour, and (from quick limited tests) it seems good and sharp - nice for low light too!

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Depending on how many product shots you're going to be doing, you might want to look at investing in a backdrop and some decent lighting. You should be able to pick up a two- or three-light kit off Fleabay for a couple of hundred quid. Learn how to use it properly (not that hard) and you'll take better shots than relying on your flash.

6. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

@Arboreal that's an excellent lens, defiantly the 50 for dx format I require!

That'd be great for shoots I can do at my place, only problem is not so great on public transport or 2 wheels haha. I'll defiantly have to get creative with the lighting, perhaps syncing some decent flashes or portable lighting kit,

Equipment is easily the most expensive part about this camera lol.

7. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

It needn't be expensive at all! I now have over 20 lenses, covering the whole focal range 3 times over (I can't resist a bargain) The best I have picked up so far has been the pentacon f2.8 135mm. It's brilliant for isolating the subject from the backgound (they don't call it the Bokeh monster for nothing) which cost £40 to my door. It's super sharp and the best thing about using manual lenses is that it teaches you so much more about the subject as a whole. Write cheap lenses off at your peril. :D