1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Nvidia Video Colour Settings

Discussion in 'Software' started by Deders, 5 Apr 2011.

1. Deders

Deders Modder

Just been fiddling with the video colour settings in the Nvidia Control Panel.

I want to be able to use the full dynamic range and dynamic contrast enhancement as it seems to improve the image quality and counteract the dynamic contrast on my monitor when it gets to dark and the screen goes nearly black.

The only problem is that the Hue setting is always enabled and always brings out unnatural colours in the video, by default it's blue.

Has anyone here used these settings to successfully improve videop image quality? Is there any way to just have the features on the Advanced tab available without the others getting in the way?

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

don't know which media player you use, but in mpc and vlc you can set those options independently. i use the options in the media player instead as i find them easier to deal with there than nvidia settings.

3. Deders

Deders Modder

Using both of those, but can't seem to find any settings for setting full dynamic range (0-255 instead of 16-235) or dynamic contrast enhancement

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You can disable dynamic contrast ratio on your monitor setting. NORMALLY, by default this feature is always disabled, else you can't use your computer. If it is off, then it seams that simply you monitor can't draw the colors.

Check here:
    http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

You are supposed to see them down to 4 with difficulty.
    Obviously, you can see all them by adjusting your colors settings, but that is not the point, else your colors will be screwed up now.

As for here:
    http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php
    I see them all, no problem.

5. Deders

Deders Modder

It's not that I want to disable the monitor enhancement, 98% of the time it makes colours in games and movies more vibrant, the only problem is if a scene gets too dark, with say a small image in the middle of the screen, then the backlights dim right down and you can barely see anything which seems to me to be a bit counter intuitive as the monitor is describes as being great for showing different shades of black and detail in scenes where there is lots of black.

What I noticed with having Nvidia's dynamic contrast enhancement enabled, it lightens the scene a bit so than all the shades are visible, and I can see what I'm supposed to.

for the Lagom tests, the first one I can see all the shades down to and including 4 (Just), but because there is a significant percentage of other brighter colours on the screen, even after I press F11, Dynamic contrast doesn't dim the screen.

For the second test I can see the difference between every shade in the lower range except for 1 and 2 in the Blue row. The higher end depends on what vertical angle I'm looking at the screen from but usually the top 2, 3 or 4 look like one block, I think this would improve when dynamic contrast comes into play but I wouldn't expect to see the whole of the higher range, still not too bad for a £150 TN panel.

@lysol, found the 0-255 setting in the MPC shader options, still can't find dynamic contrast though.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2011
  6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

in mpc its renderer settings, color management, enable, rendering intent, perceptual option. i think that should do the trick. i don't use that since my screen does it itself so i can't comment on how good of a job it does. theres a similar option somewhere in the advanced menu in vlc, but i don't use it anymore so i can't say where exactly

7. Deders

Deders Modder

Nice 1, although it now seems to darken more often and when it does it's much more immediate, so pretty much having the opposite effect of what i'm looking for, so back to the original question......

How can I enable the Nvidia controlled video colour settings without having the Hue effect the image?

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You should really get yourself a descent screen. In other words, don't by TN panels.
    More info (post #10):
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2608455&postcount=10

You should not have to even touch dynamic contrast ratio or play with settings from your GPU (which will create other problems like color banding).

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

you can set it to full.. think by default is is set to limited- I use the nvidia color adjustment in the panel- it makes a difference if you go out to a tv.. I check both boxes for contrast and whatever that other one is and use full range

I don't even think messed with that.. might want to adjust your monitor first like good was saying- get the colors right.. because if your monitor isn't displaying colors correctly- when you send screen caps or work to others, it'll look all crazy and you'll swear they look great xD

10. Deders

Deders Modder

It was a great panel for the price when I got it, still is, I can't really afford a new one right now anyway and I'm happy with it for 98% of the time, I might as well make the most from what I have, I've found a feature in the drivers that seems to balance itself out, if only I could bypass the Hue setting.

11. Deders

Deders Modder

Do you find the Hue setting affects the colouring when these are enabled in the Nvidia CPL?

12. thehippoz

yeah can't say deders.. I'll mess with it some later- but it sounds like a monitor issue.. monitor isn't displaying the colors right- like too much blue is usually the case

what I'll do is calibrate the monitor first thing.. then work over to adjustments on other things like video- then not a lot of messing around to do with the driver and usually colors are right for programs afterwards too

13. thehippoz

14. Deders

Deders Modder

Lol, that video teaches me how to move a slider. The Nvidia cpl settings overide any media player settings anyway, the problem I'm having it that it seems to add unecassary coloration that I can change via the Hue slider, but not remove....