1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who is the 'oldest' folder?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by HoistaWheelie, 24 May 2009.

1. HoistaWheelie

HoistaWheelie Slow but steady

Just curious, out of the thousands of people folding for CPC/bit-tech who's been folding the longest for the team?

Apparently my first work unit for the original custom PC team (35947) was on 05.02.04 which gives me over 5 years service :D

5 years to get to 1.1 million points :sigh:

Cheers

2. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

My first WU for this team was submitted on 24/12/05. So you've got a year on me! ;)

3. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

For the Moment I thought it was Age you were asking, and I believe I would win that hands down, :D However I would lose the folding longevity as I only started on the 1/06/06. but I have made my first million and would have done better if it wasn't for the Chimps challenge :rock: When was the CPC team first set up ?

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I think my first WU recorded was in late 2005, so you have a little over a year on me as well :) I didn't fold seriously back then though, I only started that a few months ago

5. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

I only started on 08/07/08. Although been a Custom PC readers for years. The Magazine eventually got me into folding.

6. HoistaWheelie

Same here Unicorn, think 90% of my points came from a couple of Pentium 4 and a Duron (don't laugh) only got serious recently with GPU folding ...

7. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

I think I can pretty safely say I have been contributing to the team the longest - Josh (ex CPC staffer) and I are set up the team way back in the Dark Ages. Since then however Josh has stopped folding, whereas I have carried on - even if most of my farm has been in bits the last few weeks.

8. HoistaWheelie

Curious - why did Josh, and other long term folders, give up?

Enviromental concerns?
    Costs issues?
    Swap to rival teams?

9. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

I think it was because he blamed folding for killing several PCs. Although this has happened to me too on several occasions I've soldiered on as folding is a good cause.

10. spunkymonkey

spunkymonkey phoenicis wannabe

27.01.06 for me so a little over 3 years
    cheers spunky

11. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Did you bag yourself a new corei7 xeon system James? BTW when you reviewed it you said the bios didnt let you overclock it. Did you get chance to use any windows based o/c tools. Just curious,as such a monster system deserves your o/cing expertise.:dremel:

12. broadcaststorm

broadcaststorm Folding for 35947!

According to Extreme Overlocking, the first record of me (jonesd98) was on 05.01.04, so I'm guessing in English that means 1st May 2004.
    I remember the day like it was yesterday...

13. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Ahh the good old days. Think i was running a xp1600+ 512ram (cost me £50 to upgrade to 1gb) and my lovely ati 9600. 80gb hdd? :thumb:

14. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Yes, there is one sitting in the CPC lab with my name on it. Unfortunately I've yet to find any overclocking software tools that work with it, and despite my repeated requests none of the motherboard manufacturers are up for writing an overclocking BIOS. It's all a bit beeping annoying given that Asus and others have in the past made overclocking Xeon motherboards :duh:

15. JackOfAll

James, do you think there is any chance of getting hold of a Supermicro X8DTH series mb for review? Leaving O/C'ing aside for the moment, the 7x PCI-E slots make this board way more interesting than the board you already reviewed.

16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I started folding on one of my overclocked Athlon XP back in the day. Unlocked multiplier, asetek watercooling and it ran up near 3Ghz :O They were such an awesome chip at the time. Think I had about 4 XP's folding at one point. I stopped back then because it was costing too much to run everything 24/7 and honestly I lost interest. It's a much more exciting project now though, with the GPU2 client being largely responsible for that in my opinion ;)

17. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I've not even done a year yet so it's not me.

18. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

I'm guessing you've been following this thread http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9940&start=15 about the Supermicro X8DAI and this one http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9850&start=15&hilit=supermicro about the X8DTH.

I've been wondering if we (folders, magazine?, suppliers?) could collaborate to test out the X8DAI and it's enticing 7 slots. I'd be happy to canabalise my machines in order to test the board (7 9800GX2s and Enermax Revolution 1250 PSU which ought to be enough to power the board and some of the GPUs. Or 7 8800GTs.) But I don't have any suitable CPUs or memory.

Perhaps the CPChimps could be the first to successfully get over 8 GPUs running in one machine. :rock:

19. JackOfAll

Yes, I read those threads. I had a lengthy Google session, found the Tyan dual Xeon boards (lacking in PCI-E slots), then the Asus (again lacking in mucho 16x PCI-E), then the Supermicro with 2 PCI-E slots, then finally the X8DTH series. Searching on 'X8DTH' led me back to the folding forum. Should've started there in the beginning. I'd have saved an hour or two.

Eh, you mean the other one - X8DTH. The X8DAI doesn't have the 7 slots, only 2x PCI-E 16x.

I tried to find someone with stock of the X8DTH in the UK. I couldn't find anyone in Europe with stock and I'm still waiting for a response to an email sent to Supermicro about availability. If Scan had the board in stock, rather than pre-order I would have bought it without hesitation.

Hasn't CUDA still got a hard 8 GPU limit. ISTR that it has when I was reading the toolkit docs the other day. Then there is the issue of bios address space and whether a board will even boot with too many GPU's. (Not sure how many would be too many.)

Last edited: 26 May 2009
  20. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Oops, my mistake. Yeah I mean the 7-slot X8DTH

Ah, well, I get the impression that nobody real knows. BIOS may be a problem, but if there was a market perhaps the manufacturer could sort that out. OS - probably Linux will be the first to remove any limitations (if possible). CUDA - the gossip is that nVidia are aware of the daydreams of 14 GPU machines, but is the 8 GPU limit something that could be increased without too much difficulty? And then could the board supply enough power without frying?

Who knows what will happen? I can't imagine any sizable market for machines that could drive 14 monitors, but then I'm not a sales and marketing person. I sometimes imagine the P6T7 board exists only because someone at Asus wants the bragging rights ...