1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Underwater camera/walk around

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Thaifood, 18 Aug 2014.

1. Thaifood

Thaifood Minimodder

hey people,

just been thinking about getting a new camera, as much as i want to splash out a canon g16 or similar, i find it far to big for pockets, a bit steep in price, and it isn't water proof.

i just want a decent camera which i can take on holidays, take good pictures and maybe jump into the sea with... don't really want or need a go pro i don't think..
    any ideas?

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

The G16 is larger than normal compacts because it has a 1/1.7" sensor, it'll take lovely pictures but the trade off is the larger size.

I'd look at how much time are you going to take pictures in the sea, compared with the time you don't need a waterproof camera.

Maybe just a waterproof case for the rare times you'll need it?

3. veato

veato I should be working

Nikon 1 AW1 is waterproof and has a good sized sensor (for a small camera). It's going to be bigger than a truly pocketable compact though.

You could go for the Olympus Tough and Panasonic FT range which are small but image quality is going to be less than you'd get with an AW1 for example.

You're going to have to balance waterproof - quality - size and come up with whatever best fits your needs.