1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Guitar Amp Moddeling Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by JCBeastie, 30 Jan 2012.

1. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Been trying the ReValver Demo and I'm impressed but I don't have a spare $200. :p

I'm teaching myself bass at the moment, don't own an amp so just looking to recreate some sounds on the PC, yes I can hear it raw through Line In but it's so much better with a little processing.

So does anybody know of any good, cheap or free software that can at least mimic the most basic amp?

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I have been playing bass for 15 years - I tend to not use any modelling except a bit of compression and obviously a little eq fiddle. Though for the most part, eq is done on my basses as they are all active therefore have a nice shapeable sound on board. The other thing I use fairly regularly is a boss me-50b. they are about £150 - £200 if i remember correctly.

So just stick to compression and eq - I have never had too great results playing my bass through my pc, depends what speakers I got hooked up. with my 2.1 (12" sub) its alright, but still looses a lot in the middle.

For bass I think a cheap practise amp would be a million times better than going sraight into your pc.

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

If you're still learning then just get a cheap practice amp.

You'll spend far too long fiddling with sounds on the PC rather than actually learning to play the bass.

Like Margo I just use a bit of EQ & the slightest amount of compression when playing. I've got a full modelling setup but hardly ever use it as the sound straight in to the amp is much better

4. lwills

lwills What's a Dremel?

I'm a bassist as well dude. A practice amp is the way forward for learning but if you are set on sending it through the PC, have a look at the Bass Vox Amplug: (Link to google product page)

"The amPlug series received wide ranging acclaim from guitarists around the world for delivering incredible guitar tone in a pocket-sized unit. The NEW amPlug 'Bass' is modelled on Vox's classic AC100 bass amp, and expands its potential with a full-range tone that supports today's bass sounds. A compressor/boost effect provides not just compression but also a thick overdrive sound, giving you the perfect tones for performing in any style. Careful attention has been paid to the sound quality, and a high-quality FET buffer circuit has been used to obtain even greater dynamic range. "

It's essentially just a small amp head, and you can easily route the out to the PC. It should give you a fair bit of control over the sound you want and its only like 30 quid so can't really go wrong :D

5. JCBeastie

Thanks!

Liking the look of the amPlug.

I'm quite happy with the sound I'm getting it's just very raw and not what you'd get from an amp so was just looking for an easy way to achieve that really.

6. Margo Baggins

What size speakers are you playing out of? The "raw"-ness could be improper handling of the bass frequency's.

Its not all about amps! Geddy Lee has for the last however many years played straight into a PA.

I have only started really playing about/modelling my sound for the last year or two, before that I spent all my time making my playing sound different through different playing styles or onboard (on the bass) sound shaping.

7. JCBeastie

When I say raw it sounds like the bass does when it's not plugged in but louder; and that's different to what an amp sounds like.

8. Margo Baggins

hmm. well im not convinced!

Depends what you are after really - amps dont really have sounds, cabs sound different (and that would be hard to emulate on a pc) My head is fairly simple, it has a basic 3 band eq with a sweepable mid, a basic compressor and some cab protection to stop me popping cabs - all in all, all that happens there, is what it says on the tin, eq and compression... The amp is there to be as transparent as possible, you buy different basses for different sounds, you want your amp to be a pretty clean transition from instrument to output.

my 4x10 cab sounds alot different to my 1x15, and then together, they sound very different again.

Are you actually after some effects to play your bass through?

I'm still certain that a small practice amp, and maybe a couple of pedals, would be much better.