1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Shadow Warrior Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 15 Oct 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Surely rubbish games are precisely the ones that should be rebooted?? As this to some extents proves (and look what happened to Duke Nukem..)

The problem with rebooting IP that was good the first time around (and this applies to Hollywood's current obsession with rebooting the 80s) is that if you remake something that was already good, you are obliged to make it even better or suffer unfavourably in the comparison. Far more rewarding surely to take something that was messed up the first time around and actually polish it up!

3. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Nice in theory but the reality is that these remakes are often built for the wrong reasons (money rather than love) and so the end result is more often than not the same quality as a movie tie-in game. Salvation lies in Kick-starting because those projects aren't poisoned by large publishing corporations who only want cash cows. We're starting to see some really nice reboots as well as new games created by smaller teams who don't have big-brother telling them what they should do or to hand it over before it's ready.

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

There's a new Shadow Warrior?
    Holy Sheeet! Talk bad about the original all you want. The premise was stolen from Remo Williams as well as the dialogue, but it was a fantastic game for arena fighting.
    -And toilet humor never gets old. :D
    That brings up an important question: Can it be played player Vs. player? I long for the days of jumping on someone's head during a fight to hide, and firing a heat-seeking nuke.

...Or getting into a firefight with someone in a large corridor, both of us dodging 5 heat seekers each, and no one taking a hit.

5. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

For those who played the original this looks like it will take us back in time and good enough for those who've never played to get some hack and slash action, it's on my xmas list :)

The Duke Nukem comments - I think in the end they just released a re-skinned version of the one that nearly got released years ago, like a scabbie dog that no-one wanted anymore, they just let it go. Shame really, but also in a 'sharknado' moment, I kind of enjoyed the torture....I still hope there's a more modern reboot in the planning :)

6. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Duke wasn't that bad, I found it decent enough and quite fun for the most part. To me it was far better than the BF3 single player.

I will check out shadow warrior when its a fiver.

7. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Jon Favreau once said essentially the same when he was asked about the remake of Ocean's 11. He put it a bit more succinctly, though - "if you're going to remake a movie, remake a terrible one."

8. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

So I guess he was fine with them remaking Ocean's 12 then?

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The original did a lot of things right. Right at the start, you get bad guys jumping in the room at you. None of that, "I gotta get some potions from the mana store" bullcorn. I seem to remember there was a nuke stashed in the start room too.

10. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Page 1: "They're relationship"

Might want to fix that. Just saying :)

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I got to have a go on this. Bloody good fun! I preferred the human enemys at the beginning though. Nothing quite so satisfying as dashing up to a guy with a gun and slicing off the arm holding said gun. Then while he staggers around fountaining blood you can choose to slice him up good and proper for more karma, or if things are frantic (and they usually are) dodge to one-side whistling as you go to slice up the next target.

It is just brilliant. You get to essentially vent like you would in a gta game when you go on a rampage, except you have the pace of a game like Painkiller. Gimme!

Tags: Add Tags